The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Success Story: $1740 in pre-orders with free marketing in a week.

Marketing, social media, advertising

UniEntrepreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,233%
Apr 13, 2014
UK
Hey brothers, I'm a long time reader of the fastlane, but only in the past year have I set my ideas in motion. A lot of people are intimidated by the process of starting a business, so I want to show how it's possible to create a successful business in under a week starting with low capital ($6) and free marketing sources. This business, KitchPack, is now set to turn over $100,000, so I thought sharing my experience might be informative and useful to the community.

As a quick background: I started with a few hundred dollars to my name and the option of going straight into a fully funded Masters Degree. However, I always liked the idea of taking complete responsibility, as well as the excitement and challenge that entrepreneurship brings - so I rejected the Degree offer and chose to devote myself to entrepreneurship. With a fast depleting wallet and no backup plan, I had to act quickly.

Day 1: The first event/opportunity we (me and my business partner) identified was the upcoming arrival of new students in a week. We considered several ideas such as: bedding packs, study kit (pens, highlighters, etc), food packs, arranging nightclub events and kitchenware sets. Since we had prior evidence of kitchenware sets working (some sets had been sold 5 years previously), we decided to research further: we addressed weaknesses in the overpriced or incomplete (stuff missing, too many spoons, etc) sets of our competitors and conducted extensive student surveys to come up with a 33 item list of high quality kitchenware that comprehensively covered the needs of both home and international students. We then checked the margins were there by surveying students to decide pricing and negotiating 9 kitchenware suppliers against each other to get the lowest possible unit cost. Negotiations resulted in us getting a 16% discount from our initial lowest quote, but we needed a minimum of 25 units to secure the bulk discount.

Day 2: We wanted to validate that the product would actually sell before spending anything (especially not the cost of 25 units). First, we created a simple e-commerce site that allowed us to collect pre-orders. This was $6 web hosting, a wordpress blog + paypal link. We then drove traffic towards it using exclusively free marketing sources. Given our margins, we needed 15 pre-orders to raise the capital to buy 25 units and secure the discount. Consequently, we decided that if we collected over 15 pre-orders from free sources then we'd proceed with the business and invest more time/money. If we received less than this, then we'd simply refund the money.

Day 3: The free marketing went a lot better than we expected and we ended up raising the capital for 45 units. Our market was new students arriving at University, so here's what we did to target them:

(1) Identified top academic Forums for the country (where incoming students posted questions and messaged each other before arriving). Found University specific subforums and identified incoming students through posts/threads. Sent them all highly personalised messages (often answering questions in their posts). We told them who we were, the reasons why we'd created the product and how they could get it. This was done in a very conversational and un-selly way, which we think was the key to our success.
(2) Identified relevant Facebook Groups/Pages. We then took the same approach to messaging students as (2), however, we also messaged group administrators and asked them to post about us. 2/25 of these said yes, but these posts had very large reaches. These were probably better given they could see exactly who they were talking to.

With all these we made sure to a) make every message unique b) follow up every answer c) ask for feedback/ask them kindly to refer us to their friends. We think this highly personalised approach was the key to our sales - those that didn't buy had a great impression and told their friends or liked our social media page, further increasing our reach.

Day 4-7: We used the capital to purchase stock and fund a Facebook marketing campaign (we used information about our customers locations so far to inform a few split tests then put $30 into the most effective cpm campaign). This resulted in more pre-orders for stock. We then negotiated a deal to sell on the University campus - which resulted in us selling out all our stock (120 units) in less than 24 hours for $3350 net profit in just under 7 days.

Day 7+: Since then we've designed a new business model and have been in talks with universities across the UK - we're set to be in 25 different University stores later this year predict to sell 5000 units.

By the way. We just started a blog with write-ups about the businesses we've created. Our goal is to write in a maximally transparent, informative and actionable way. The first post is about this business and goes into way more depth (the specifics of market research, negotiation, how we set up the website, what we wrote in messages, how we chose paid marketing campaigns, how we sold on the day and more) so check it out if any of this was interesting to you. Also eel free to post questions about any stage of the business.

Blog: http://unientrepreneur.com/2014/02/kitchpack-make-2000-week/

We'll be writing about the 4 successful businesses we've created since KitchPack, so be some of our first subscribers if this was useful to you!

James

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Probably the strongest first post I've seen on TMF , awesome progress, congratz buddy. Love the "cheating" on Facebook cheap audiences, gave me a couple of ideas.

Thanks, rep transferred

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
I love this story-that's the way to hustle!

Shows there's opportunity everywhere if you're willing to be proactive and take a little risk

BJWeston

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 13, 2014
Awesome post - thanks for providing the Blog link and such detailed information. The free marketing has given me a few ideas, thanks!

UniEntrepreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,233%
Apr 13, 2014
UK
Probably the strongest first post I've seen on TMF , awesome progress, congratz buddy. Love the "cheating" on Facebook cheap audiences, gave me a couple of ideas.

Thanks, rep transferred
Dude...crazy respect. Congrats on your success man!
I love this story-that's the way to hustle!

Shows there's opportunity everywhere if you're willing to be proactive and take a little risk
Awesome post - thanks for providing the Blog link and such detailed information. The free marketing has given me a few ideas, thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. It's good to hear that the content was useful too, we spent a long time writing it to be as informative/actionable as possible.

What were your "exclusively free marketing sources"?

Check out Day 3 in the original post for a summary and full details (e.g. content of messages) here: http://unientrepreneur.com/2014/02/kitchpack-make-2000-week/.

The key points were 1) Identifying forums (alexa) and groups (facebook) with incoming students 2) Sending highly personalised, un-selly messages to both students and group administrators (see blog) 3) Following up every message and asking for feedback (see blog). The results were that many students pre-ordered, but significantly more gave us feedback, told their friends and boosted our social media presence. All of this helped us collect even more pre-orders both from free marketing and subsequent paid marketing we did (established brand, greater organic reach).

KEITH P.S

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 20, 2014
Hey, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the story. It's encouraging !!!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@UniEntrepreneur .... You guys across the pond really are mad crazy. ! :woot:
Seriously...congratulations on exceptional work and your contribution here. We appreciate it. :)

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014
I've noticed this side of the forum is filled with "my life story" and "feel good motivation" posts (not that those aren't useful at times) that leave out a lot of actual business related information. Here comes a thread like this and I am honestly very surprised it has not got more attention or even stickied.

You gave some incredibly useful information about the process you went through and that blog link is priceless. Thanks so much for sharing.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
Great job. You have the opportunity for massive scale, considering you can sell to an audience that changes every year (incoming college students).

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Long Story Short: Best thing they did in 1 week

We took several actions to validate our idea: (3.1) market research to figure out if there was demand for our product, what price consumers were wiling to pay as well as what our competitors had to offer (3.2) negotiating with suppliers to ensure the margins were large enough to make it worthwhile (ideally we want the margins to be >30%) and finally the most important stage of validation: (3.3) creating a website to take pre-orders and (3.4) conducting free marketing to see if people would actually buy the product. Only after successfully passing all these tests did we decide the probability of the business working was high enough to warrant investing our time/money into it.

Travis.I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 11, 2014
Washington, US
Like the thread OP. Gave me a bit more insight on strategies to use for marketing, as well as different ways to make more money without spending a lot to do so.

Patchwork Girl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 10, 2014
Amazing story.The fact that you had real progress in just a week is so inspirational to a chronic overthinker like me. It's actually made me re-think a similar idea I had a while ago (different product/niche) - I missed my chance with it because I didn't act in time (because I didn't think I had enough time) to make it work.

Thank you so much for sharing - I hope business is booming with the new academic year starting next month!

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Damn, awesome success story!

Really shows the importance of finding a need and solving problems. Chances are, if you experience a problem, there's a good chance a lot of people will experience the same problem, and need answers - quick.

It's an excellent idea as well. Another idea would be kitchen packs for couples who are moving in together for the first time. I know a lot of couples that had to bounce from store to store to find a decent kitchen set.

Look around!

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York
Hey, how are you guys going with this and your blog?

Checked both out and they both seem to be out of commission.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey, how are you guys going with this and your blog?

Checked both out and they both seem to be out of commission.
Hmmm... yea both the blog and kitchpacks websites are down. Hope @UniEntrepreneur chimes him to give an update but it's likely wishful thinking at this point.

Benimo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 29, 2014
Ouch... Multiple courier problems and customers not receiving their orders since early September =/

Yeah, these kids had to learn a big lesson: chinese suppliers are not reliable. When things go wrong they never take their responsibility. What disturbs me most is that Unientrepenteur doesn't take his responsibility either. I read on their facebook page that they hang up on customers who complain about unreceived orders!!! Are you kidding me?!

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York
Yeah, these kids had to learn a big lesson: chinese suppliers are not reliable. When things go wrong they never take their responsibility. What disturbs me most is that Unientrepenteur doesn't take his responsibility either. I read on their facebook page that they hang up on customers who complain about unreceived orders!!! Are you kidding me?!

Yeah that's disappointing. Several University employees even commented on their Facebook complaining about students not receiving their products..

Hope they can bounce back and do right for these people

Andrew Heron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 10, 2014
Yeah looks like the business had some serious issues in the end, but this is undoubtedly an invaluable experience for all involved.

Having too many orders and growing too quickly isn't the worst reason to have your business fail.

Gotta look at problems like this as a stepping stone to greater success in the future.

I'm impressed by Unientrepreneur taking massive action and getting this thing up and running on a shoestring,
I'd be interested to see a post detailing what went wrong and what was learned from the experience.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe a new opportunity for one of our UK members? Hmm..

It seems like a great idea and many people desire such a service. In the comments on the article linked above someone mentions another company that provided the same service but was just as useless.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.