The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you always carry on yourself?

Disobey

following breadcrumbs
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Feb 18, 2014
Luxembourg
Hmm, where should I start...

Left side: Wallet, phone, pocket knife, flashlight and a lighter (and I don't even smoke...).
Right side: Fake wallet with outdated credit cards and some small change, old broken phone, car keys and sun glasses.

I guess I'm a lil' bit paranoid but it's getting quite unsafe in some places here at night.

God bless the guy/gal who invented cargo pants/shorts by the way. :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
I was looking at CCW purses on Alibaba a while back. There seems to be room on Amazon for someone to do a better job.

I live in Canuckleland (Canada), eh? Don't know much about handguns living up here, but there's a great idea for someone....

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
If you want to know my biggest inconvenience, its carrying a big wallet around. I want to be able to hold lots of credit cards and cash at once and not have this big fat wallet. I still haven't found a wallet that does that.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
If you want to know my biggest inconvenience, its carrying a big wallet around. I want to be able to hold lots of credit cards and cash at once and not have this big fat wallet. I still haven't found a wallet that does that.
Cash is over rated. When I need to carry money, I just carry a CC with a high limit and a zero balance. One.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Cool, thanks for the replies folks. I think I knew the answers already, but I just wanted to make sure my line of thinking was in check with everyone else. Sounds like keys, wallet, iCrack/dumb-you-down phone are the most common. Followed by what your packing' to fleece out bad guys.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Cool, thanks for the replies folks. I think I knew the answers already, but I just wanted to make sure my line of thinking was in check with everyone else. Sounds like keys, wallet, iCrack/dumb-you-down phone are the most common. Followed by what your packing' to fleece out bad guys.

Yup, so what I really need is a glock holster iphone combo case with a key ring on it.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
1 or 2 phones (work phone if I am on call), Wallet, Ecig, Knife, Ruger SR9C or LC9 (depending on the clothing).

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hmm, a universal credit card would sure be a good thing to have... Don't know if it's possible though.

It's called a starwood amex!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yea...I use a Crossbreed IWB holster at about 5 o'Clock and it would be cool to be able clip the iPhone to the outside of it somehow.

So do i, the last thing I would want is to clip anything on it around it. Effectively reducing my ability to use it under stress. If you can navigate around a phone to pull your weapon, you probably aren't in enough danger(immediate that to life) to be pulling it!

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Interesting where the direction of this thread got to.......

In any case, the next odd question is who here has lost an electronic gizmo (iPhone, Android, GoPro, Contour, iPod, etc....) at some point or another?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Interesting where the direction of this thread got to.......

In any case, the next odd question is who here has lost an electronic gizmo (iPhone, Android, GoPro, Contour, iPod, etc....) at some point or another?
Walkman?

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Thanks, but a little old school for my line of thinking. Thinking of more current personal electronics that would have been purchased in the last 2-3 years.

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
I don't always carry my phone, so I rarely loose it. Other than that I carry a pen, marker, pad of paper, Case knife, chap stick (I'm addicted to the stuff), keys, a Morgan silver dollar(so I don't forget the difference between money and currency), my wallet with plenty of cash (well, I'm not going to blow that silver dollar on a 6 pack) and sometimes a full size 1911(man I love Milt Sparks holsters).

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Ok, here's the scoop. I was hoping my prototype would be here by now, but it's not. Gotta keep the ball rolling!

What I've been working on is a bluetooth wireless leash for electronics (iPhones, smartphones, GoPro cameras, any personal electronic that has bluetooth capability). Yes, there are other devices out there that you can use your phone to search with (Zomm - it goes off at 30' and you need a smartphone to program it), but this design and application is slightly different.

I live in a ski town that has an online classified section that has people looking for lost iPhones and GoPro cameras almost daily.
People are constantly loosing phones at the bar and cameras at the ski hill. It's still in the rough prototype stages, but the device links up over bluetooth with your phone/camera/etc... If you accidentally leave your phone on the table, or crash snowboarding and your camera falls off the device will flash/vibrate and sound an alarm to let you know that the device is 10' out of range. It doesn't tell you exactly where the lost item is, but you will know it's relatively close.

The retail price will be around $30-35 for the unit. I was asking what people usually carry with them (outside of your phone) so that I can determine what medium to build the unit into. I was thinking maybe a bracelet (done up stylishly), a key fob of sorts, a "credit card" design that could fit into your wallet/purse or some kind of wrist strap that could go over snow gloves.

It's a spin on what's already out there, but tweaked slightly so it can be used for more applications. Once the unit arrives, I'll post some videos of how it works with phones and cameras.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Wow I had no idea so many people carry...almost sounds like where I'm from ...well maybe except that you guys are all legal...

Maybe you should create an app if people forget their glock it beeps on the iphone ;) Lol
"find my gun"

JSheppard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 19, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Man, I'm working on an invention that would be solved by asking this same question, but is a very different solution to a very different problem.

I was nervous when I started this thread!

That being said, I'm not going to ask how you're going to solve it. That's your business. I will say how I'd solve it, which I hope will help your business. I will say that I've heard about something called a 'heartbeat' sensor, in alarm systems, that check in every X second(s) and when they don't hear the pulse, they go off. I think that would be a pretty good way to hit this idea. I bet you've heard of it, but maybe here's where it gets interesting:

The speed of the heartbeat would make it directly vary with the distance (duh) but you could do:

• Parent and child: a distance of 50 feet (maybe eyesight distance-ish) would let them go to parties/malls/public comfortably without children leashes (I feel dirty when I write that).
  • People selling...things. That way you can have untethered items for display without the sales people nervous they won't...walk off.
  • Security systems would be incredible like that: picture this, instead of the little button they press, it would be a chip in the watch of the XYZ employee who would put their hand near some innocuous symbol: silent alarm triggered. What if the chip was in their armpit? Or ankle? Then it wouldn't even matter where they were located in the location, they could activate it everywhere!
  • Phones at bars: duh
Here's how I would do it: I would consider two options: fashionable wristbands and hidden (bicep/ankle/etc) bands. These would have small vibrating parts that could signal different distances based on the pulse (continuous, SOS, pulse, etc). I've got a ton more as far as the development and implementation is concerned, but I've got a hunnie coming over right now!

That was a lot of fun thinking of things. If you do end up making millions from that, I'll expect more than a few minty mojitos!

Either way, thanks for the chance to develop an idea.

JSheppard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 19, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Had an addition on that idea:

Professional security (bouncer etc) could have multiple vibrating components (R and L - bicep/ankle/shoulder/wrist would be eight) which each would correspond to 'sectors' where all of the security would be paged if there's a problem.

No earpiece required, you could just have a button next to the vibrating portion, where security could page the entire unit to their area by touching their wrist or bicep. I think that would be a great way to keep security subtle, if that's something you're interested in.

I just wanted to say, you're welcome because I've done the heavy lifting so far: I've done the real work of spending twenty minutes thinking.

Now you just have to do the easy work of 6-24 months of:
  • Product Development
  • Manufacturing Engineering
  • Manufacturer Selection (Domestic v Int'l)
  • Tooling
  • IP Protection
  • Marketing/Advertising/Distribution Channel Selection
  • Sales
  • Distribution/Fulfillment (don't forget customs if you go int'l w/man'f!)
  • Billing/financing
  • Tax/corporate governance
Some people just have everything handed to them!

:)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I saw this and thought it was interesting. So now, I wonder how effective will a person be if they're placed in a situation that is unexpected. It kind of goes along with what the Navy Seals say. If you don't use it you lose it, and muscle memory, and exposing yourself to scenario's again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=473&v=8QjZY3WiO9s

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
It totally depends on where I am going , iphone is mostly there not sure of other things though. So if its a ski resort , make a bracelet and put a GPS tracker in that toofind them if they are lost or find the phone if out of range.

For 30$ , I will think like - that I don't need this as I won't forget my phone. Maybe others will think different but I would say add some more features like watch.

Oh yeah, most people always have wristwatch.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

Malika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 16, 2014
UK
I always have my keys with me, my watch, my smartphone, emergency make-up set, my bag and that accessoire, which i got from the love of my life. He presented it to me when i got pregnant from him. I was so excited because i love panthers and i would love to be with him. <3. Few weeks after that we married in an untypical way in malaysia.
We saw a real panther, which we borrowed from some locals for the wedding.
panther-ring.jpg

Source
I want to ask you something. If i want to post a picture do i HAVE TO name the source of that image, or should i post that image next time, without any source? Is it relevant? Please explain it to me. Dont know the law. Dont want to be busted for sharing copyrighted pictures.

Regards

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.