The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Does anyone know of anyway to get a good e-version of Breakthrough Advertising?

Get a good pdf and put it through a pdf to e-reader site. Think there should be one in the dropbox but it's a very messy version

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Listen UP:

I ran a test to help those of you who absolutely cannot afford some of these books and cant get/read the pdfs(or rather not read them). This can be a bit of a waiting game and a bit of a pain(experiences may vary), but, if this is your last resort then try it.

I requested at my library in person and online to get them to do an interlibrary check(remember that word). I got them to obtain me breakthrough advertising 1966 and robert collier letter 1937 by doing this!!!
Look, if they can get me breakthrough advertising they can get you any book in this challenge.

The key is stay on top and communicate with the interlibrarian person because they may not be resourceful about obtaining books if you do not show you really need them! Note, the interlibrarian may not be at your branch where you pick up the book(s), but, you can still talk to them by phone or email.

P.S. I wanted to do this myself before I presented this information because when you tell people to do stuff they dont listen, but, when you shown you have done it they follow. I spoon fed you, you have no excuse. Get to it!

P.S. #2 Do your research & present research you've found to your librarian. You may need to enlighten them & you might want to whisper to tell them exactly what you've found.(i.e. that book is available at this place through my research on worldcat.org, or, I see the book is circulating at these libraries out of state, can you call them? etc).

P.S. #3 Interlibraries are international as well so I know you can get books. Just have to do a variation of what I explained above. :)

P.S. #4 In terms of speed and convenience it is probably best just to buy the darn books or look for them online. However, who knows, maybe you get lucky and your library has the book and you dont have to go through all this to get it. Either way, the options are yours.

^^^^^^from post #269 Page 11
youre_welcome001.gif

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
Just read this entire thread today and I'm in. Currently I do not have clue what specific products or services I will eventually market, but until I do, I may as well prepare and learn everything I can. This challenge seems like an excellent place to start, not only for marketing, but gaining a deeper understanding of human psychology.

Here we go:
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book (In process)
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom

Last edited:

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I almost finished with Scientific Advertising for the 2nd time, is there a preferred order to read the books or simply just go down the list? I'm waiting for the rest to come in the mail.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
noone... i mean really you got to cheat to finish this in 30 days. I been working on it since I posted this on jan 29th!!!!!!! Though, I may not be as spry as some of the others here. :tiphat:

Bosstradamus

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Dec 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
noone... i mean really you got to cheat to finish this in 30 days. I been working on it since I posted this on jan 29th!!!!!!! Though, I may not be as spry as some of the others here. :tiphat:

Dude I dont think anyone can finish it in 30days. 30day challenge is probably just some good copy to get ppl to do it lol. You cant have a job or school if you wanna finish that quick

Midas Touch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 31, 2014
In. Creating a progress thread.

EDIT- Nah. I'll post my progress here. I sped read 8 chapters of Scientific Advertising last night. I'm rereading it, at a slower pace, to absorb as much as possible. I'll be done with it tonight.

donny123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 2, 2012
canada
this challenge has been taking a lot longer than expected. My fault for getting distracted and reading other books though. I'm so glad there are so many others doing this challenge. It keeps me going. time for me to get back on track!

Midas Touch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 31, 2014
Finished Scientific Advertising. Excellent read. Knocked it out in 3 hours. Waiting for some books to come through the mail and now starting Breakthrough Advertising.

Tobars Dobbs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Mar 3, 2014
Due to hijacking another thread I decided to create my own thread.

This thread is for every one who is interested on taking Gary Halbert 30 day challenge to be a world class copywriter. The intention is to follow gary halberts way to the letter without deviation, and, to keep each other motivated. If you are in on this holla out in the thread to let me know you are here. Just say, "I'm in" :)

Feel free check in periodically to ask questions, participate, motivate and, make others accountable including myself.

If you dont know already, we are starting from Gary's premise that anyone can be a good copywriter in 30 days.Read Link Below:
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm

Here are the newsletter back issues and boron letters that you will need that is spoken of in above link.
http://www.trafficplusconversion.com/1345/gary-halbert-letter/

Here are the ads that gary halbert mentions that you will need from first link.
http://theryanmcgrath.com/2010/04/gary-halberts-favorite-ads/

NOTE: When you buy TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS by John Caples buy the 4th edition or earlier.
NOTE: When you buy 7 Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez buy the 1st edition (if you can find it)
NOTE: When you buy The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier DO NOT buy KINDLE VERSION(its crap). You can buy the authentic 1937 version of the book from the heirs of Robert Collier: http://www.robertcollierpublications.com/page/by-robert-collier#letters
Disclaimer: I haven't purchased from their site I cant give you any purchase feedback.

Anyway, Lets try to do this as if he was over our shoulder. In case you dont know who Gary Halbert was, he was universally recognized as a legend in the world of copywriting. Gary died in 2007 RIP.

P.S. Do you mind if I call us "The Unofficial Disciples Of The Gary Halbert Way" , (TUDOG< for short :) )? Lets keep the torch lit!!!

UPDATE: A late addition: I am not sure if it should be a part of this challenge so I am going to leave it OPTIONAL at your discretion. Here is Boron Letters 2.0 written by Gary's son. I dont have all the details, but, you are free to take a look at the link below.
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/1FOTGHLFramesetBoron20.html
I'm a little late to the party.....but I'm in! I think this party will be lasting a while.

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
I'm in! I've been wanting to do this for a while.

I'll try to finish it in 30 days since I ain't got no job.

Just got Scientific Advertising, Robert Collier Letter Book, and How to Write a Good Advertisement. Thanks to Amazon Prime :woot:... still waiting for the others.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
Thirty days is tough to do this in. Especially when you get to the end of writing out the ads and see that you're only half way through the challenge and Gary is telling you to read all the books a second time.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Just read Scientific Writing. Great book. Took me about 7 hours to read...but I am a very slow reader. Good lessons within. Eager for the other books which are in the mail.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Wow ... ok... i just checked the rest of the reading list and one book is over 350 pages. This is definitely going to take me over a month to read each book, then re-read, then do all that writing...

Maybe I should take this as an opportunity to work on my reading skills...? Any advice on speed reading?

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Wow ... ok... i just checked the rest of the reading list and one book is over 350 pages. This is definitely going to take me over a month to read each book, then re-read, then do all that writing...

Maybe I should take this as an opportunity to work on my reading skills...? Any advice on speed reading?

just go to youtube if you never looked up the subject and use the search engine there. also tim ferris gave me some tips in 4 hour work week because I never researched before so he was my first real introduction on the subject of speed reading. Anyway, here is a link to some info on his blog http://fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/

tbdahl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
May 2, 2014
Thanks to OP for starting this! Not really knowing where I should go next, this is the perfect next step for me.

Already finished 'scientific advertising', Now on to Robert Collier, letter book!

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I think the interesting thing to note in the Tim Ferris article is at the very end:

If used for study, it is recommended that you not read 3 assignments in the time it would take you to read one, but rather, read the same assignment 3 times for exposure and recall improvement, depending on relevancy to testing.

His techniques I think would work well for reading the newspaper or novels or anything you are just looking for basic information from but if you are really working on learning the subject you would use the techniques to spend the same amount of time on the same text but getting more reads of it in that time.

Another technique that I've found helpful, although I rarely remember it and put it into practice came from a surly philosophy professor in college. He suggested that in any book if you really closely read just a few sentences from a book, completely unpacked everything that was being said in those lines you would get more out of a book than if you read it over and over again. Like if you really unpacked exactly what MJ was talking about and meant when he says that wealth is a process and not an event you'd 'get' the whole secret that most of us are chasing after.

I'm a fairly fast reader, and it's wonderful to plow through books, but I really envy slow-readers who I think get more out of what they are reading than I do sometimes.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
My guess is that 30 days equals full time, 8-5 reading/studying. After all, the challenge was probably meant for people wanting to copywrite as a career, not use it as a tool in business.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Do you find it muddles your comprehension?

Maybe I should've just said Tim Ferris wrote about in 4 hour work week. Do your research. Experiences vary. I have a hard time sticking to something I am not used to doing. I am not a speed reader even though I thought there were good tips on youtube as well.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Maybe I should've just said Tim Ferris wrote about in 4 hour work week. Do your research. Experiences vary. I have a hard time sticking to something I am not used to doing. I am not a speed reader even though I thought there were good tips on youtube as well.
I have read 4HWW and researched it on TF blog a few times but can't seem to get it to stick. Whenever I try, I feel like I don't really comprehend anything, and some academic articles agree.

Was more asking to see if I was missing something obvious. Guess not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.