The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One LLC, multiple unrelated products?

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I know I have a few progress threads going at the moment so I apologize if I should have posted in those instead of here. I'm looking at filing my LLC license soon but I'm not sure about a few things. I've googled this a bit and I can't find anything, most likely I just don't know the correct terminology which is stunting my search results, so again I apologize if this has been answered before. Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about this topic, but I'm learning.

How does it work having one LLC but selling multiple unrelated products? My main product right now is the suction cup cup holder but I also have the guitar app on the back burner. I'm collecting data and slowly learning ios coding so eventually I can create my app. Can I start a LLC with a general name ( ex. last name LLC) and have it cover both the cup holder, the app, and any other products I eventually create? My main thought again is the snuggie, everyone knows it by the product name, how many people have even a clue what the company's name is? Same for many apps, I could be wrong but I doubt "angry birds" is the company name as well. I'm just not sure the rules and how these things work.

Thanks for any help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I think that is a question for a lawyer, but I'll answer anyway...yep, your LLC can be the owner of many products or other companies. That should answer that.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you, I thought of asking one of those "ask a lawyner" sites but wasn't sure if it was needed.

smartmoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 1, 2013
New England, USA
I would also say ask a lawyer, accountant or CFP. However, if you are willing to pay for a separate LLC, it probably makes sense from a legal liability standpoint. If both products are in the same LLC and a lawsuit is filed against the LCC, it could be that you are liable for assets in BOTH product lines. Having two LLC removes that possibility. However, I am not an expert; I would check with one.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
That's a good point, didn't even think about that. I will contact a lawyer, thank you.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
There is a podcast that I listen to which might have a lawyer as a guest once a week and we get to ask questions. I'll see if he will answer this question. I'm not sure when it will be answered (or if it will be) though.

I'll post the answer here if it does get answered of course.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
There is a podcast that I listen to which might have a lawyer as a guest once a week and we get to ask questions. I'll see if he will answer this question. I'm not sure when it will be answered (or if it will be) though.

That'd be great,
thanks.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice... But...

LLCs and corporations frequently own other LLCs, Corporations and many DBAs... Including one of mine.

So Yes. You can. But this isn't legal advice. And I'm not a lawyer.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice... But...

LLCs and corporations frequently own other LLCs, Corporations and many DBAs... Including one of mine.

So Yes. You can. But this isn't legal advice. And I'm not a lawyer.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
You may want to consider a series LLC as it allows you to segregate business risk under 1 LLC with separate "series'". This is a bit more complicated than a standard LLC and requires a specially drafted operating agreement to have full effect.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
You may want to consider a series LLC as it allows you to segregate business risk under 1 LLC with separate "series'". This is a bit more complicated than a standard LLC and requires a specially drafted operating agreement to have full effect.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

NECST

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix
smartmoney nailed it. Corporate law (protection) varies from state to state too, so make sure to check with local lawyers.

In Washington real estate, I believe you can be sued up to 6 years after you make a transaction. If you hold properties in the same entity that you flip them, a 5 year old flip that just had a problem can take all those other properties in that entity.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA

The host of the podcast took a hiatus until 4/24 so I'll still let you know if it is answered. I have questions of my own too so if they get answered I'll post the Q&A.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Chrysler LLC

Also I think Koch, GMAC, Kaiser Permanente, Cargill (international food/grain company) and a number of other large companies are LLC.

Bottom line, LLC can get as big as you want, with as many members/stakeholders as necessary, but can only grow through revenue--you can't sell stock for capital--but the entity is pretty new so there are rules yet to be written. A great advantage is pass-through taxations--in contrast to c-corp double taxation--you only pay taxes on profit once, as owner(s).

I say begging for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission. My lawyer tells me she has the same motto.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.