The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I felt stuck in life and moved across the country. Here are some things I learned.

Anything related to matters of the mind

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
A few months ago I posted under my old handle of Fazedlol a post more or less just bitching about my life situation. A helpful, and tough-love-esque response by @Runum was posted. His response made sense at the time. It makes even more now. Thanks again, Runum. I was struggling with the decision of whether or not to move to San Francisco from my hometown (a suburb of Dallas, Texas). Long story short, I moved home with my parents, quit my job, ended my contract work, cancelled an accepted apartment application, and moved to San Francisco. I had a family friend who offered to sublet his one-bedroom apartment to me in the city, and stated he was living with his girlfriend. I took him up on the offer. I learned several hard truths about myself, and my life in general over the next several weeks. After about 6 weeks, I ended up moving back to DFW.

Here’s some lessons I’ve learned about my life in the past few months. They are, of course, things I find true for myself. I hope some of you can relate. I hope these points help others avoid mistakes I’ve made.

1) It’s easy to get addicted to advice. I see many posts on this forum asking things like, “What kind of business should I start?” or “How can I make $1,000 by tomorrow?” or, my question, basically “Should I move cities or not?” I have asked, still ask, and see people ask for advice on how to choose between two or more choices in life, business, relationships, etc… big and small (on this forum and in life). I found myself asking almost everybody close to me for advice on what to choose. I would spend hours Googling things like, “Should I move to San Francisco?” or “Should I quit my job to start a business?” or “I feel stuck in life. What should I do next?” While I never felt like I found exactly what I was looking for, because I was looking outward instead of inward, I would find arguments, ideas, and suggestions that would typically lead me to a course of action.

There are consequences with placing so much of your decision-making on advice of other people, whether or not they are friends, family, acquaintances, business associates, etc... For example: personal responsibility. When I would take the advice of others and act, and things worked out well for me, I would think, “Man, I’m so glad I took their advice!” When something would go wrong, I would think, “Damn, they were wrong!” and absolve myself from at least some of the personal responsibility of my reality, which was that I made that choice myself. Also, and most importantly, no matter how detailed a picture of your situation you paint, nobody knows every detail, emotion, and variable of the circumstance that you are in better than you.

2) There is no replacement for due diligence. When I moved to San Francisco I found out the living situation had been severely misrepresented to me. My friend was not in fact living with his girlfriend, would only occasionally spend the night at her apartment, and the two of us would share the one-bedroom most nights of the week. The place looked and smelled as if it had not been cleaned in a few years. I also didn’t take a realistic view of the cost of living. I knew it was more expensive, but I underestimated by how much. Navigating around the city was cumbersome by car, time-consuming by public transportation, and expensive by taxi/Lyft/Uber. All things that I found out I did NOT want to deal with in the place I live. I could have found out about all of these truths by simply taking a trip there, and asking questions more relentlessly, before uprooting my DFW life.

3) Saying “No” to things/people/relationships/advice is often the best course of action. Up until recently, I’ve had surmountable difficulty saying “no”. A friend or family member calls me up and wants me to do something I really don’t want to do? Yes! Offered one last drink? Yes! That girl who’s logically not good for my health that wants to hook up? Yes! That piece of advice someone gave me with incomplete knowledge about making huge, sweeping personal changes? Yes! After all, I want to be liked. I want to be respected. And then I found my self esteem was too closely tied to how “nice” people think I am, at the sacrifice of my personal wellbeing.

It wasn’t until I started saying “no” to things that I started learning the meaning of the phrase “opportunity cost”. James Altucher said something similar to, “Whenever you say yes to something, you are invariably saying no to something else.” I wholeheartedly agree. Last week I found myself awake before dawn on Monday morning in San Francisco. I had second round interviews on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, each with a different company (some very well known). It was a nice feeling to know I could easily find work (I’m a software engineer) but something was eating at me. It had been eating at me for the past several weeks, and I decided to listen to it intently that morning. I saw the direction my life was going. I had moved to SF with lofty and unrealistic dreams of plopping right into the entrepreneurial culture, having amazing things happen, and coming out on top. With no real plan, and taking zero action, I found myself right back on the path of the Slowlane. I would have the job, the commute, all of the things I disliked about my previous job. Only with an insane cost of living, and with one serious thing lacking: my family. Sure, I was in a beautiful city with beautiful weather, but I was homesick. I asked myself, “Is this what I really want? To just trade my location for my family?” The answer was a resounding “No!” So, I immediately took action. I called and cancelled all my interviews. I packed up all of my things. I loaded my car up. I left. I caught myself smiling for the first time in weeks.

4) Honesty and integrity are key, but don't forget tact and gratitude. I had several intense, and uncomfortable conversations with my parents shortly after reading TMF . I wanted to share my newfound knowledge with them. Subsequent conversations that included advice such as 401k investing, IRA accounts, avoiding risk, etc… were met with some variant of “NO. OMG. TERRIBLE ADVICE.” (Really, not as abrasively, but more or less). I failed at using tact for the situation and recognizing the viewpoint of my parents. Here I was neglecting to focus on gratitude for my life situation. Debt-free. A paid-off car. A degree in software engineering. A good job. My financial independence. Most importantly, two parents who adopted me, raised me, and loved me as their own. I failed to recognize, consider, and respect their lives, their experiences, and their perspectives. I’m not a religious person, but there’s a great prayer: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” I practice at recognizing the difference between these three every day.

5) You can’t run from yourself. What I found when I got to San Francisco was every personal problem I had want to “fix” was multiplied times ten. Had I moved there for clear-cut, and well defined goals, it might have been different. But since I moved because I was “stuck” with no game plan, I found myself stuck out there as well. I had anxiety in DFW about going out and meeting new people. About going to meetups. About letting go of dis-empowering relationships. About simple, day-to-day activities to take care of my health. It was much harder for me out there with a limited support network. Out there, I learned how important my family is to me. I’m adopted, and have a close relationship with my biological mother, my half sisters, and to a lesser extent that side of my family. I have a fairly large, nontraditional immediate family, and an even larger extended. The friends I could do without, and wanted to move on from anyway. But the family I could not replace. In my attempt to "fix" myself, I lost sight of what truly mattered to me.

6) Use your head. I made three weighted average decision matrices over the span of a few weeks. They included several cities I was considering moving to, including staying in DFW. The first was a dead tie. The second two, DFW won heavily both times. Upon studying my whiteboard just a few minutes ago, which has the last one I made, I noticed that DFW was highest, and each subsequent city that was farther away or harder to access from DFW scored lower. Instead of using my head, I let my emotions control my decisions, and left.

I recognize I still have much to learn about entrepreneurship, happiness, acceptance, gratitude, wealth (as opposed to just financial abundance) and life in general, but feel I’ve made some large personal strides over the past few months. I came back to DFW with a heightened sense of gratitude, peace, acceptance, and knowledge of how I want to live my life. I wanted to share my experience, and hopefully some of you out there can avoid some of my pitfalls, and/or gain some sort of value from my experiences.

Thanks for reading.

-All In

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
There is nothing more valuable in life, to a certain extent, than one's own life experiences. Even so persons usually respect words gained through experience than those spoken from some other source.

I say that to say you may be onto something here. The thing you are looking for may be steering you right in the face.

I have several friends who documented their life's stories as they were going through them, the valley which many of us have passed through and others still will end up going through, and found that it would serve to be of more value than they had ever dreamed. They planted a seed and today, after the tree has matured, they are able to eat of its fruit. That may be you -- just expand upon what you have experience and you too may be able to eat of the fruit of your life experience.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
That's awesome man! Just see how much you've learned. It's all a matter about perspective, you've gained insight in many areas in your life and developed yourself greatly.
You live and you learn :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My financial independence.

Financial independence compliments of your parents really isn't financial independence, but financial dependence.

Subsequent conversations that included advice such as 401k investing, IRA accounts, avoiding risk, etc… were met with some variant of “NO. OMG. TERRIBLE ADVICE.”

If you want the life your parents enjoy (or don't enjoy) then by all means, you should follow their advice.

I came back to DFW with a heightened sense of gratitude, peace, acceptance, and knowledge of how I want to live my life.

And how is that? I assume the intention to be near family?

I let my emotions control my decisions, and left.

I don't get it. You left DFW again? Or left for San Fran despite the WADM result?

Thank you for the enlightening post. I hope everyone reads it, and also reads the post I linked above.

The best decision for me may not be the best decision for you. It also shows that "taking action" for the sake of taking action, might not be the best thing to do. Especially without a plan!

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Great post. Good to see so much growth.

I relate to the feeling of stuckage and anxiety. I have lived and bounced around to many different places. Born and raised in New York, a summer stint in Jersey, spending summers in Connecticut, weeks and months in ATL... New Mexico... KC...here in DFW...

As you've implied - and stated - it's about personal responsibility for your own actions. It's about assessing risks and factors. It's about testing and strategizing. It's about eating humble pie while expanding knowledge.

It's about tasting life, from the gritty flavor of hitting your a$$ on the concrete to tasting the sweet high of euphoria when you take control of your destiny... no matter what.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks for the update. Glad to see you making some decisions. However, you acknowledged you have not solved your problem of meeting people. What's the plan now that you are back?

You have your support network back how are you going to make the best of your situation?

Good luck.

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
I really feel where you coming from man. I just graduated with a electronic engineering degree last year and have gone through some of the same experiences you have relating to having intense conversations with family member/friends but the right thing to do is to try to understand their perspectives and just respect them for the lives they chose to live. Many time times parents/friends just want you to have a successful career and get good engineering jobs. But sometimes they might not realize that there is more than one way to be happy and pursue your goals and they don't see entrepreneurship as a option. They just see working a salary job as a option.

What I have done at times is just let them know what kind of life you want to live and what are your motives in life as well as what you value the most. I learned my values in life when tough situations came into my life and made me make decisions based on my motives and values. We both have that engineering knowledge/mindset that can make a difference in peoples lives when combined with the entrepreneurial mindset. You can do great things when you be a producer instead of a consumer.

Keep grinding and being strong minded man towards your goals.

Team Engineer Entrepreneurs :rockon:

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going through a similar deal. Moved back in with my parents - I've been here for 6 months and need to move out for my own sanity.

Just curious.. what's your plan now? You probably need some space from the family.

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
Was I one of the guy's that said to go to San Francisco?

No. I don't think anybody on the forum suggested a course of action to me, actually.

Financial independence compliments of your parents really isn't financial independence, but financial dependence.

Great point. I hadn't thought about it like that.

And how is that? I assume the intention to be near family?

Yes. Close to family, and also to make the choices I want for my own life. It's not some exact vision of the future I want to have (work in progress), just an increase in day-to-day confidence about making choices. Saying no to that beer, asking for that girl's number, making sure to exercise and eat healthy every day. Actually writing code for my Fastlane business. Reading. Writing posts like this on the forum, and on my blog. Slowing down. Experiencing, appreciating, and working in the moment more, instead of focusing so heavily on the future that I forget to lay the building blocks for it, or do any actual work.

I don't get it. You left DFW again? Or left for San Fran despite the WADM result?

I left for SF despite the WADM result. In fact, I erased the DFW column after I decided to go to SF because that high number was irritating me. Even though Austin, TX was also on the list, and was higher than SF. Silly me.

However, you acknowledged you have not solved your problem of meeting people. What's the plan now that you are back?
You have your support network back how are you going to make the best of your situation?

I plan to continue to post and be active on this forum, attend meetups (I attended a few in DFW before I left for SF. Going to get back on that), and generally just talking to strangers more. I also want to move closer to downtown where it's more walkable.

What I have done at times is just let them know what kind of life you want to live and what are your motives in life as well as what you value the most.

Thanks for your response. The above quote stuck out to me. That's a great way to put it. My parents have generally always respected my decisions, even if they don't agree or understand them.

Keep grinding and being strong minded man towards your goals.

Thanks man. Likewise. Whenever I'm down or blocked, I try and remember I'm on a mission: http://i.imgur.com/lEtsS.jpg
I'm also taking a new approach where I don't broadcast to my family what I'm planning or working on. I'll tell them when I have results.

I'm going through a similar deal. Moved back in with my parents - I've been here for 6 months and need to move out for my own sanity.
Just curious.. what's your plan now? You probably need some space from the family.

I totally get wanting to restore your sanity. I do want space, but definitely to be within driving distance. For me, my old employer reached out to me after finding out I was back in DFW and wants to rehire me (will know definite in a few days). My short term plan is to: get my old job back, or another programming job if that doesn't pan out, so I can afford my own place. Stay healthy and active, and work on my Fastlane business in my free time. Before I moved back home I had these lofty visions of me furiously hacking away in my bedroom, producing a great SaaS web app, making a bunch of money, and speeding off in a GT-R. Honestly, I think I've worked on my Fastlane business for a total of maybe 100-150 hours in the past year. I do/did an enormous amount of mental masturbation, book reading, forum reading, youtube watching, and very little real action. I also kept telling myself things like, "Once I break up with her, I'll get to work," or "Once I move back home I'll have extra cash, so I can register my LLC, and have money to invest in my business, and I'll get to work," or "Once I move to San Francisco, I'll have space and distance from my family home, and I can get to work." What a load of crap. Just get to work. Having said that, I have made the most progress (which is limited, but notable) on my own project when I lived alone. And I do simply want my own space for a multitude of reasons, even if that means I have to take a Slowlane job in the short term to get it.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser10

Awesome post! All those failures lead to revelations. Even though you made mistakes, you took some sort of action and it lead to personal growth.

The part about saying "NO" is so powerful. Saying "NO" is usually met with a negative connotation, but it is the other 50% of life. There is no "YES" without "NO." Sometimes you fold instead of bet. You have to be able to say "NO" to friends, family and yourself.

I completely relate to your situation as I think most people have at least once in their lives. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
1) It’s easy to get addicted to advice. I see many posts on this forum asking things like, “What kind of business should I start?” or “How can I make $1,000 by tomorrow?” or, my question, basically “Should I move cities or not?” I have asked, still ask, and see people ask for advice on how to choose between two or more choices in life, business, relationships, etc… big and small (on this forum and in life). I found myself asking almost everybody close to me for advice on what to choose. I would spend hours Googling things like, “Should I move to San Francisco?” or “Should I quit my job to start a business?” or “I feel stuck in life. What should I do next?” While I never felt like I found exactly what I was looking for, because I was looking outward instead of inward, I would find arguments, ideas, and suggestions that would typically lead me to a course of action.

There are consequences with placing so much of your decision-making on advice of other people, whether or not they are friends, family, acquaintances, business associates, etc... For example: personal responsibility. When I would take the advice of others and act, and things worked out well for me, I would think, “Man, I’m so glad I took their advice!” When something would go wrong, I would think, “Damn, they were wrong!” and absolve myself from at least some of the personal responsibility of my reality, which was that I made that choice myself. Also, and most importantly, no matter how detailed a picture of your situation you paint, nobody knows every detail, emotion, and variable of the circumstance that you are in better than you.

-All In

Hey All In, I'm new to posting in the forum and haven't figured out how to private message :D, I just moved to Dallas, Tx with my wife last year and just bought a house in Allen, tx. We love Texas!

I agree it's easy to get addicted to advice whether spending hours reading on this forum, going in circles with ideas etc., reading a trillion books. I hear a bunch to just focus on what thing and go forward and focusing is tough for me but I'm trying to work at it. I've had trouble narrowing down a niche to start fastlane but I keep going back to "looking for the right advice" to find it. Information overload!

If you want to talk further since we're in the same area to share ideas etc., I'd be down for that.

CHeers!

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
Hi Joe. Thanks for the feedback, and welcome to Texas! I have not PMed before either, but I think I just successfully did.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.