The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thought you all may enjoy this journey back in time...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was once where all you guys were. The beauty of having a blog (I no longer update it) is that I have a recorded history of thoughts and events. I was looking for a particular post today and came across my old posts from back in 2007.

These are the first posts after my store was set up. It's incredible the amount of learning day by day that occurred. As this was back before MJ's book was written, I can clearly see myself thinking about these things as the snags are uncovered. When I read through these posts, I realize how fast my business evolved. In my head, these changes that I made happened over the course of years, not within 3 months!

My first e-commerce site is live October 19th, 2007
I flipped the switch about an hour ago on my first e-commerce site. It’s live and can take orders now. I built the site using OS Commerce and a free template that I got from Template Monster. My backend is processed by Paypal, Google Checkout and Authorized.net. The site was done a few days ago, but I spent a few days troubleshooting and doing test runs. While the site isn’t exactly what I’d like it to be. I decided to let it go live and begin working on the 2.0 version of it.
I may have to hire someone to modify its layout as I’m at the limit of my technical abilities.

The easy part is done. The next step now is to drive traffic to it without spending too much money! Here’s where I put everything I’ve learned about SEO from running this blog to the test.

I’m not going to post the URL but I’ll mention that the site is a retail site that sells specialty clothing and gear for the outdoors. I’ll go into why I choose this type of market next week.

My Comment: I got many comments on my blog asking for the URL. Back then, there was no Bigcommerce or Shopify, so I took an open source free program and a free template and did it myself. Notice I launched before it was perfect.

Ecommerce site update – after 7 days October 27th, 2007
It’s been a week since my site went live. My current goal is to drive traffic to the site and improve its search engine rankings as quickly as possible. My goal of this site is to get one sale a day with an average checkout total of $180. If I can achieve this goal the site would net about $15,000 to $18,000 per year. I hope to attain this goal within 6 months.

My Comment: My goal seemed tough at the time!!

Got my first ecommerce website order!! November 1st, 2007
My first website order came in yesterday evening. I was so excited when I got the order. It’s the same feeling as when I got my 1st rent check. It’s the affirmation that things are going according to plan. The order was for $142.00.

Of course then Murphy’s Law struck. When I logged onto my account to fill this order I couldn’t find this product on my dropshipper’s site. I searched and searched and realized that sometime in the past week they must have dropped it from there inventory. That totally sucks! I checked all my other products just in case and it’s the only one that’s gone!

Now I have to go directly to the manufacturer to see if they will sell direct to me. I was eventually going to go this route anyway, but I wanted to get the site up and running with one supplier first. Since it’s 12:00am, I can’t call them now, but I’ll call them first thing in the morning. I guess I’m going to be setting up multiple distributors earlier than I thought.

Let’s hope I can fill this order and don’t need to cancel it.

Short update today November 2nd, 2007
Sorry for the late update, I forgot to blog again. I spent yesterday working out making kinks in my little ebiz. The small things that you don’t think about until an order happens.

For instance, my 1st order was authorized on credit card but it hadn’t settled yet. So, do I order my product now or wait until it settles? Once it settles when do I get the money? How does my packing slip look going to the customer?

Well I got all those questions answered today.

I got a copy of the packing slip and didn’t like what was on it. It had all my LLC information, not my DBA information. So I had to call the dropship company and change that for my orders. In addition, it has the dropshipper’s website at the bottom of the page. That’s no good.

My first order settled last night and this morning I found a transfer going into my bank account. So I guess I get the money about 1 day later. It’s also going to the wrong bank account, I’m on hold right now to see what the problem is.

I also got my second order last night!

My Comment: Notice I didn't worry about things until they occurred. I dealt with issues as they popped up.

Chugging along – The Little Ebiz Train That Could November 28th, 2007
The Ebiz had a record day in sales today. It must be the Christmas season kicking in. I had 5 orders today totalling $667.00. I decided to take a look at the numbers and see how this business has done over its first 40 days.

• Gross Sales -$2,500.00
  • Product Costs – ($1920.00)
  • Advertising – ($312.00)
  • Startup Costs – ($200.00)
  • Monthly Fees – ($105.00)
And the total is…-$37.00.

Remember I got a $200 bonus for opening a business checking account. So maybe I could say that I’m actually up $163.00 for the month. But I think it’s more proper to not include it.

So without it, I am so close to turning a profit this month. Well, there’s 3 days left in November. I expect to be in the black in December since I won’t have the startup costs to contend with.

I’ve bumped up the online advertising in the past week to $20/day. So far, it’s been paying for itself easily, but I may tone that down as it is alot to spend in a month. I’m getting better at this online advertising. In hindsight I wasted some money on ads that didn’t work. I’m getting a good click through percentage now. However, my conversion rate isn’t that great yet. I’m getting 100+ visitors a day, so I think I should be getting 1-2 orders a day, but I’m not.

I’m also working on getting the product costs down by signing up with a few different suppliers. I can probably shave another 10% off the costs. In addition, I’m thinking about stocking a few items. Some items are very popular and if I order them in bulk and ship them out myself I’ll increase my margins.

Also, I’m increasing the prices of some of my products a few bucks because their margins are too low. My lowest margin orders have been $12-$13 and I bumped up my product price a few bucks and the orders are still coming in.

I’m not getting too excited because it could be the Christmas rush. The true test will be what happens in January 2008.

My Comment: Now that I'm getting orders, I try to maximize profit by lowering product costs or shipping it out myself. I'm suprised that I was thinking of this within a month of opening. I'm also learning PPC as I go.

Sometimes not knowing is good November 30th, 2007
I’m writing this post as a response to reader’s comments about my e-business. I am totally grateful for the comments and insights on retail businesses. My knowledge a month ago was zero. I just know that I’m good at math. If I can sell a product for more than I pay, that’s good. I knew nothing about dropshipping pitfalls, chargebacks, fraudulent charges, etc… I didn’t know what “keystone” meant on the comment by UBU50. I had to look it up!

I read and try to understand each and every comment. However, I do understand that if I wait and wait until I find a product or idea that fits in the text book criteria, I would be waiting forever. I know that my margins can be bigger, but if I never started due to that fact, I would be where I am today.

Sometimes it’s better to not know what you’re getting into. Because if you know all the pitfalls and potential problems, you may scare yourself from jumping in. There are countless real estate investors that became investors when left with an empty home. I’m sure many would say to themselves if they knew how much trouble renting a home was, they would have never done it.

Here’s an example of what happened yesterday. I got 4 identical orders for a product that is on backorder from my dropshipper. I needed to fill them ASAP so I started looking at competitors sites to see if anyone had them in stock. I found one on Ebay for a great price! I called the guy and asked if he had more. He told me he was the main supplier but he was waiting for them to come in from his manufacturer. Great, I found the top of the food chain, or so I thought. A few calls later and I was talking to the guy who actually makes the product. Now you can’t get better inventory information than that. He told me he was making these as fast as he can and that the next shipment was going out next week. However, he also has an exclusive agreement to sell to the guy on Ebay so I would have to buy from him.

So the Ebay guy is the top of the supply chain for this product. I know that if he doesn’t have inventory, nobody does. On top of all that, he dropships and his price is $20 cheaper than my dropshipper!

The reason I’m writing this is that I was warned that I shouldn’t rely on one dropshipper. I totally understand that reasoning. However, I felt that having one was enough to start with. I learn as I go. I would have never found this Ebay guy if I wasn’t searching everywhere for this one product. Who knows, another shortage may lead me to another supplier. My point is that sometimes you have to just do it. Start with the minimum and expand and grow.

My Comment: More learning as you go. I also didn't realize that I found this main supplier within a month of opening. I thought it was a year after!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ebiz1 update January 8th, 2008
I certainly had a good November and December with my Ebiz1. January started off well but sales have slowed down dramatically.

The most frustrating thing to me now is that my suppliers sold out of their entire stock during the Christmas rush. They said that this year was the best year ever for my product. It seems like its finally getting popular and now demand has outpaced supply.

With that said, I have 7 orders that are 15 days old that I cannot fill due to supply problems. Who would have known that if I would have stocked products in December in my home, I’d be the only one in the country with the product in stock now.

In addition, one supplier is raising prices on January 15th. The prices are increasing alot. I have one product that will go from $74 to $99 wholesale price. I’m wondering what my competitors are going to do. I’ll wait to see if their prices go up or if they eat the difference in the pricing.

I’ve been tempted to order about $3,000 worth of inventory at pre-2008 prices. This is in order to get the price savings and also to have stock in my products. I know that this would defeat my whole business model. I’ve done the numbers and the additional profit would probably not be worth the time.

My Comment: So after my first Xmas season I was already thinking of warehousing and beating the competition by buying all the supply. Also, notice my suppliers increased their pricing. I noticed that I did not have control here. But ironically, my conclusion at this time was that it wasn't worth my time to stock inventory. I still had a 4HWW mentality here.

Ebiz 1 strategy change February 19th, 2008

Free Shipping On All Orders

After my post last week about upselling vs. free shipping I have decided to change my ebiz1 strategy. Based on the data during the 1/2 month of free shipping I have decided to offer free shipping on every order. Along with that I will push upselling on all my products to get the highest possible order total.
This represents a big change in my ebiz strategy as I had intially made the goal of making one sale per day with a profit of $50-$60 per sale. This would equate to between $1500-$1800/mo in profits minus the $200-$300 a month in expenses. If the site reached $12,000/yr I would call it a success. But I really wanted to push it for $15,000-$18,000 a year.

During my first 3 months, the site made $610, $903 and $810. Total number of sales were 28, 49 and 26. For those wondering why December had 49 sales and only made $903, it’s because I spent $500 on inventory that wasn’t all sold. Basically, I am falling short of my 30 sales a month goal and my conversion rate wasn’t even at 1%. I was getting customers to my site but they were just browsing around. During the past week, they weren’t even putting stuff into the shopping cart. When I have 100 visitors and only 5 people added to the cart, there’s a problem.

I had to make my store more appealing to the visitors, so I changed my shipping policy to free shipping and let it be known everywhere on the site and on my Google Ads. What I am hoping to do is to generate many more sales and that my end of the day profit will have increased. I am turning my store into a high volume, lower profit per sale store.

It’s been 3 days since I implemented the change and I’ve had 6 orders so I can sort of say that there has been an increase in sales.

Carrying Inventory

I have also decided to carry inventory instead of 100% dropshipping.

One reason is because the dropshipper charges me a $3.00 fee per order. Since I have 3 months of business data, I know which items are my big sellers. I can order them without the fear that I will get stuck with 50 of them. My dropshipper is in the next state and shipping to my home takes one day and cheap. If I order 50 products, they are shipped to my house for $40 shipping vs. $150 dropshipping fee that I would pay for each order. I have ordered boxes from Uline which cost me $0.75 per box. Monetarily wise, I do end up saving money. Time wise, I know I have to spend time printing out labels and bringing the packages to the UPS store. But even if I am getting many orders a day, I won’t mind doing this.

The second reason for carrying inventory is for quick order fulfillment. I like being able to service my customer and ship the same day if required. If there is a weak link in this product, it is the manufacturer (not the dropshipper). They are very poor communicators and cannot seem to manage their inventory. To eliminate this, I will carry inventory as a backup only. This means that I will always have a few in stock of my popular products.

If I get an order of a popular product, I will try to fulfill the order through the dropshipper (unless I have 50 in stock). If the product is not in stock, I will ship from my inventory. Once my inventory gets low, I will add to it.

My Comment: After 4 months I change to free shipping. I don't remember exactly what I'm tweaking, but I'm pretty sure the site looks pretty bad. I also change my mind and begin to stock inventory.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ebiz#1 update July 30th, 2008
Well this is looking like a record month for Ebiz1. With a day to go unspent profits are pushing close to $2,000. I say unspent because in reality the profits will be alot lower because I am putting alot of the money back into the business.

I have a developer building me a new site from scratch. My free OSCommerce template was fine, but there were so many limitations to it and I feel it was costing me money. My new site will have better SEO, be able to calculate international shipping, be able to take coupons, process orders more efficiently and have a more professional look and feel. On top of that, I think I’ll keep this developer as my site mechanic.

I also had 50 promotional t-shirts made which I am selling on the site but more importantly I’ve been giving them away in large orders. I’m just trying to get the brand more popular and I’m also learning alot about the t-shirt business in the process.

So while overall monthly profits will remain inline with previous months, the business is really growing.

Long week – Ebiz #1 update September 8th, 2008
I’m stilling working with my developer from India on my revamping my ebiz#1 site. There are so many more features than my current site that I feel like my current site was significantly handicapped.

Some of the new features on my site are:
  • Integrated paypal checkout
  • Integrated google checkout
  • Automatic international shipping calculations
  • Super improved admin panel (my old one really sucked)
  • Coupon codes
One thing that I like about using developers from India is that they always make the changes that you ask. They don’t ask for change orders when you want new features or keep changing the colors of the banners.

However, I did ask for a change in my checkout page last night. This time his response:

jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:18:41 PM): that will be big change
jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:18:50 PM): whole process will effect
jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:19:26 PM): for cost I can do that

BTW, we communicate exclusively through IM. India is 12 hours ahead of me, so he usually gets to work at 9pm my time. I send him all my comments and we usually chat until 1am. Then I go to sleep and when I wake up at 8am I check his responses, review the changes and make comments. It’s an odd set up but it works.

Anyway, this is the first time he has asked for more money. In the developer world, I see a big change as many many hours of work. I had no idea how much he was going to ask to make this “big” change.

jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:19:50 PM): we can keep as min as $75
Me (9/4/2008 11:20:33 PM): hmmm

I just said I’d think about it and didn’t mention it again. Then after 8 minutes he said:

jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:28:10 PM): ok
jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:29:40 PM): pay me $50 I will do automic registeration for all orders
Me (9/4/2008 11:30:46 PM): $50 is ok
jxxxxxx (9/4/2008 11:30:52 PM): ok

See this is exactly why you never toss out the first number during negotiations. In the US, a “big” change in development usually means alot of dollars. Honestly, I don’t know what number went through my head but it was certainly more than $50. Sometimes we forget about the economic differences in countries when outsourcing our work. I think I’m getting something for very cheap and he’s probably getting paid alot for his work. It’s a win win.

My comments: First site redesign 9 months in. Man I still remember those nights of IMing developers in India. I think I paid $400 for the whole website back then. It's kind of funny the stuff that I'm adding to the site, paypal, international shipping, coupons!! What a cutting edge site! LOL

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
The nostalgia kicked in hard when I read this last night. All of the pitfalls looks like tiny blips on the radar when looking back.

Thanks a ton for the share!

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
Do you still operate this same ecommerce business? Do you still dropship or do you warehouse your products now?

Have you ventured out into any other niches?

Very interesting stuff here. This shows what actually taking action can do. Fail forward, fail hard, get back up and try again! As the saying goes, Just Do It!

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
This was a brilliant read, thank you!
I love your mentality of dealing with issues as they come up instead of worrying about them in advance, something I definitely need to get much better at.

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
Awesome thread! Wasn't around at the time when you were handing out this butt kicking, but just reading through your processes shows that all it really takes to be successful is action. And a HUGE reminder for myself to not always get stuck thinking about every little detail that could go wrong. Just get up and start the process, handle the problems as they come up.

You got me all fired up!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I like your idea of keeping a blog to track your progress in addition to posting things here. Thanks for sharing this.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Hey @Bio, just read through all the posts and it's amazing to see where you started, only want to make a thousand or two per month.
I am not familiar with what you are currently doing but have read you have legend status on this website.

Are you still operating the same website? Or did you document your progress somewhere else?

If it's somewhere on this website, i'll search for it. I just finished reading this thread and thought why not ask!

Thank you

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Coupouns..you maverick lol!

Definitely shows a benefit to a blog/progress thread/diary. man, i wish I had one looking back, i guess it's never too late to start :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.