The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Reason NOT To Hate on Jobs

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Today, I'd take an employee who can actually see a project through to completion. My team lead just up and flaked out in the middle of a course design. It was taking up too much of his time and it is summer...really?

To get back on topic:

I understand your plight. You need to shake things up, you need to learn a skill employers need. You need to step outside the box and learn or do something different to get noticed.

Do you speak another language? Do you have any in high demand skills like programming or web design? Can you free-lance or contract?

Sue

I speak three languages (four, actually but the other language is useless), I'm a certified IT technician, network technician and almost a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator. But nobody wants me for IT because I don't have any work experience.

My skills are not the problem. I used to fix computers in high school to make some dough. But so can many of my friends. It's not a useless skill but it's a common skill. I don't know but I'm a position where it feels as if I'm simply not qualified for skilled jobs. I'm hoping for a gig on the Geek Squad or something.

Unfortunately, I'm only in the US for another month, so the job hunt is going to have to wait at least six months. I'm a business major so while in Canada I'm going to take an unpaid internship since I can't work on a study permit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MikeRuss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 13, 2012
Oregon
Like most have said, this is so true... I am still learning life's lessons, and I am better for it. There is nothing as motivating, as looking at those around you and realizing you want better, you don't want to get "stuck."

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
So what are the jobs that can be seen as a good entrence point for becoming financial independed (or an entrepreneur etc)
Some jobs/educations most be better then others, right?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
So what are the jobs that can be seen as a good entrence point for becoming financial independed

hmmm... tough question.

I'd argue, pretty much anything could be taken to that point of providing financial independence.

Haven't you heard about the janitor that drive a Ferrari?

I read yesterday about this guy that was working as a welder. Went to work for an oil company. Now owns a business that generates $170 Million a year.

Or the lawyer that founded a law firm and then made money from the partners' work?

The realtor that creates a realty firm, including realtors, mortgage brokers, home services, etc?

Or the Limo driver that created an online company, sold it, and retire at his early 30's?

YouthPig

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the post. It very helpful with me. Now i am working for a bank in my country with a little good salary, but in my country, you never can afford enough for your life with salary ( House price/ one year salary = 26!!!!). I have been looking for own job, i try many ways ( include bet, i mean football bet - offcourse i lost my money). All of that things reduce my inspiration, decrease my motivation. Everyday i went to work with a bad mood, did all my job with a average productivity. I lost my way to the fastlane. Thanks for your post. It help me think about my liFe and effort more on what i do. Good post!!!

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
hmmm... tough question.

I'd argue, pretty much anything could be taken to that point of providing financial independence.

Haven't you heard about the janitor that drive a Ferrari?

I read yesterday about this guy that was working as a welder. Went to work for an oil company. Now owns a business that generates $170 Million a year.

Or the lawyer that founded a law firm and then made money from the partners' work?

The realtor that creates a realty firm, including realtors, mortgage brokers, home services, etc?

Or the Limo driver that created an online company, sold it, and retire at his early 30's?

I did hear about the last one.
Is it then about working on certain skills that you want to accumulate? Keeping at it until you are really good at it?
in the mean time waiting for that one million dollar idea to pop up?

So many people are in the 'slowlane'. Having a very nice car on that slowlane, that must help to get to the fastlane?
with that nice car, I mean having a good job. Having talent. Developing skills? Building a network.. etc?

Or am i 'searching' (i am not really searching, i am just curious and interested) in the wrong 'direction'?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Is it then about working on certain skills that you want to accumulate? Keeping at it until you are really good at it?
in the mean time waiting for that one million dollar idea to pop up?

So many people are in the 'slowlane'. Having a very nice car on that slowlane, that must help to get to the fastlane?
with that nice car, I mean having a good job. Having talent. Developing skills? Building a network.. etc?

Or am i 'searching' (i am not really searching, i am just curious and interested) in the wrong 'direction'?
hmmm

I think it is about the attitude.

PatrickP talked in another thread about a niece who finished Dentistry. She is a dentist. but she probably thought "how do I make more money without being tied to the number of hours I work?" --or something similar.

A solution?

She rented a bigger office and subleases office space/chairs to other dentists.

What is the big point?

Attitude.

Asking yourself constantly: What is missing? What could be done better? What could be done cheaper? What more could be offered and have better margins?

About the nice car... yep. In the Rich Dad Poor Dad book, Kiyosaki called this "entering the rat race".

This means, you get into debt and the only way you now have to get out of this is to pay back the loan with your salary. And then you need a bigger house. A nicer car. Better clothes... and buy more than what you can afford. Debt will tie you down forever.

If you can resist the temptation --which is VERY hard... too many players with huge marketing budgets to 'make' you buy their stuff, stuff you can't afford. Friends doing it and calling you stupid for now getting a 7 year loan for half your salary for a fancy Audi you can't afford, etc etc etc

so, again, about your questions... Pick any work. Any. And then start thinking, how to make this a business? How to make it work in a way that makes me money without me doing the work directly?

This firefighter did it... and he noticed something could be done better.
HyConn inventor Jeff Stroope on Shark Tank - YouTube

Improve something that has been done always the same for the past 100 years or more.

Look at how he explains it... and when he worked on it.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
This means, you get into debt and the only way you now have to get out of this is to pay back the loan with your salary. And then you need a bigger house. A nicer car. Better clothes... and buy more than what you can afford. Debt will tie you down forever.

If you can resist the temptation --which is VERY hard... too many players with huge marketing budgets to 'make' you buy their stuff, stuff you can't afford. Friends doing it and calling you stupid for now getting a 7 year loan for half your salary for a fancy Audi you can't afford, etc etc etc

You are giving an example where being materialistic will eat you up. Becoming an entrepreneur is not going to fix this. If I have a job where I earn between 8-10k a month and I buy things I can afford, do things I can afford, I will not be 'stuck in the ratrace'. If I want to prove something to people about how much I earn by buying things I can't afford, then I have a problem. But the same will happen with somebody that is an entrepreneur.

The entrepreneur has to deal with the same marketing, right? Now we are talking ferrari's instead of mercedes. We are talking 2 milion houses instead of 500k. But, it's the same?

I enjoy my life now, where I don't have that much money at all. Life would be a bit more relaxed if I earned more. I don't think somebody in the ratrace with a paycheck of 8k a month has a bad life. Having debt is a bad thing. For sure. But I don't see the link of getting a job and automaticly get into debt because you are buying things you can't afford. It seems to me everybody can end up in that situation. "Employers" and "entrepreneurs". The mindset then is more about not being a bitch for marketing and work as hard as you can to make more money?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I enjoy my life now, where I don't have that much money at all. Life would be a bit more relaxed if I earned more. I don't think somebody in the ratrace with a paycheck of 8k a month has a bad life.

You would then "enjoy your life" more with more expensive things. Would lease/get a loan for the Ferrari instead of the Mercedes. And would still won't have that much money at all.

The problem here is about who can afford what...

If you are an entrepreneur, and need/want more money, you could potentially expand your operation and make more money. The business pays for the toys.

I do not know of any job that will have a 100% salary increase. Heck, a 3,000% salary increase so you can afford the $2M mansion instead of the $80K condo. (ok, they do exist... some weird CEO deals that only happen to 100 people in the whole world).

But, you are correct, this is about being materialistic. Or "enjoy life now but have not much money at all" approach.

I think your original question was about a job and being entrepreneurial.

My hypothesis is that any job could transform into a fastlane business with right attitude.

People with $8K a month probably do not live a "bad" life. But won't live a great one either. At least not in this part of world.

--sorry, do not want to make it a personal attack and I reckon it may be seen that way, but the forum does not convey the tone correctly.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
--sorry, do not want to make it a personal attack and I reckon it may be seen that way, but the forum does not convey the tone correctly.

I am not reading it as an personal attack, no worries :)

I think your original question was about a job and being entrepreneurial.

My hypothesis is that any job could transform into a fastlane business with right attitude.

People with $8K a month probably do not live a "bad" life. But won't live a great one either. At least not in this part of world.

Yes. That's true. The question was that, because I am in college now and I do want to get to a place of financial independence.
But then you said some things I found interesting.
Saying somebody that earns 8k a month won't have a great life.. I just have a different view on that. A great life doesn't only come from money. Most of all, 8k would be a lot of money to earn on a monthly basis where I life (europe). Couldn't u have a good life with 8k?

Money makes life so much easier though. Not having to worry about pay checks or your car needing a big fix etc

My bad we got a bit on a sidetrack, this is where we where talking about and I love this sentence.
For that to happen, you then need to know a lot about the job you do, to really see what can be better about it.
So that kind of brings me back to my iniatial question, which was: Are the some skill sets that help somebody the best to get to that financial abudance state.
I see now that why its about mindset. Just keep at it, work your way to the top and start to see where improvements can be made and then be the one making them.

I don't see any harm in having a good paying job that you enjoy highly. I think thats even great. Becoming an entrepreneur then, is more about taking the next step rather then trying to force to become one.
Everybody that is mentioned either was in college and started on their own, or had a job and started on their own :)

I do think I am in the wrong field to make good money with my job. Do you think working in sales/marketing is a better direction for somebody that wants to make good money? I am very interested in that!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Couldn't u have a good life with 8k?
Yes, a good life? Sure.
A mid-class house/condo/flat/apartment.
A decent, reliable Honda/Toyota/Renault.
Some hope for retirement.
A week or two of great vacation every year (if you save enough for it).

It is a GOOD life.

Sorry, I want more.

you then need to know a lot about the job you do, to really see what can be better about it.
Maybe.

Or maybe you simply need to learn how to sell what others want.

Did you read the thread about hustling every day? Read that one. It is a simple, basic idea. It works.

I don't see any harm in having a good paying job that you enjoy highly. I think thats even great.
Great. This tells me you do know yourself.

Go find a great job then!

I do think I am in the wrong field to make good money with my job.
In the other thread I provided a lot of examples about making money in HR. Take a look. None of them are easy though. But it is very doable.

Do you think working in sales/marketing is a better direction for somebody that wants to make good money? I am very interested in that!
This is one of the two most important things to know about any business. The other, I think, is to understand the financials/costs of your business.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I think it's my mindset. I have no real references that it can be done. Nobody in my 'real' inviroment atleast.
The person who makes the most in my inviroment is an manager, with around that 8-10k (euro)

Ofcourse I want more :)
Just very insecure about the direction I can take. What I can do now with what I have now (with in mind i still want to finish my degree)

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Asking yourself constantly: What is missing? What could be done better? What could be done cheaper? What more could be offered and have better margins?

Yup. Do this everywhere, make it a habit.

I read this thread yesterday and I thought "Any job" because every industry has service gaps, problems, inefficiencies, and cost issues. I look back at the jobs I have had and how many opportunities I over-looked or thought "that won't work".

Sue

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
I am hanging onto my slow lane or rather "no lane" job at a small shop while building up to start my business. I kept coming up with many great ideas for this shop without any feedback from the Owner. So instead of channeling my thoughts into this business I am channeling my thoughts into my own.

So the best part about a slow-lane-no-lane job with the combination of Fastlane Millionaire is that you wonder "what the hell am I doing" and hopefully make that change.

passion518

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia
Good topic. I'm new here and currently reading the book, but it seems on here people totally bash slow lane jobs. This thread brought up all my points for why a job can be useful. I have learned SO much about how a Business works in the 4 years at my job.

Plus, as stated, my slowlane job pushes me to go fast lane.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Well, how bad do you want it?

Offer you will work for free for three months.

Call it a great internship opportunity.

And once you get one opportunity, make sure you work your a$$ off providing value and learning everything you can.

Worst case scenario? They let you go after three months, and you learnt a lot.

Other potential scenario? Somebody leaves and they offer you the position, so you now get paid to do the job and keep learning.

MAKE SURE YOU apply to intern at a company that is related to the industry you are going after, or at least the position is close to what you want to learn about.

Follow up to this post.

I worked for what equates to minimum wage for 4 months doing some awesome stuff for a Fastlaner.

Best decision I ever made. Best opportunity I've ever received, or will ever receive. Why? Because no one can start without a first opportunity.

I learned more in those four months than my two years in college or my three years reading books. I got to see the inner workings of a successful company. I got to learn about the decisions that are made and why people make them. Shit, I learned how to LEARN (real talk: when I received this opportunity I didn't know what I was doing, all I knew was that there was a job that needed to be done and I was in the chair. So I had to learn FAST.)

Now I have skills that people have been contacting ME for. As of this post, I don't have a website or anything. I just got an e-mail from someone who needed something done. This shit is turning into a business, and why? Because I was given an opportunity.

Moral of the story: if you're 20 and you're looking for a place to start, be valuable, even if it means doing a $20/hr job for $0-10.. Sell yourself short on purpose, because you're not looking for a living: you're looking for knowledge.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Jobs become WAY easier to do, and bosses way easier to handle, once you no longer NEED it.

"thats cool I'll just go make my own sales" is something you can do at any time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.