The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 1st Fastlane Poker "home game" Is In The Books!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So a bunch of us AZ guys got together on Thursday night and got a little poker home game going... nothing big, just $1 stakes and honestly, to call it "poker" would be a stretch. We played a lot of crazy games (7-card stud Q kills, wild cards, etc.) including the stalwart Texas-Holdem.

Here were the official results.

1st - MJ DeMarco +$280
2nd - @TheTruth +$98

3rd - @AndrewNC -$16
4th - @AllenCrawley -$24
5th - @JasonR - $45
6th - @Trevor Kuntz -$100
7th - @biophase - $156

The point of this post is first, of course, to claim my bragging rights for the entire month. :punch: :woot: :hungry: :upyours: :cigar:

Second, I haven't checked, but maybe there's an opportunity here for a website that helps local people form their own home games? And set up like a challenge league? I know this is the type of thing I would have used in the past. (Stress here is "HOME GAME" -- the is no house rake)

Third and most important, it illustrates that the forum is much more than "how do I grow my business" or "how do I make money" but about forging relationships OFFLINE as much as ONLINE.

I used to play a "home game" in Chicago before moving to Phoenix. When I moved, it stopped and I truly didn't realize how much I missed it until I played again, AND with a bunch of entrepreneurs who "get it". The conversation is illuminating -- instead of talking about how much one's boss is a dick or "my hours were cut", we are talking about sales funnels, conversion rates, and marketing ideas.

Folks, use this forum to your advantage. Contribute. Forge relationships. Find like minders in your area, go for coffee, get a poker home game going, or run your own B&P meetup.

While I had a shit-ton of fun last night, I actually learned STUFF just by virtue of LISTENING to the conversations that were being exchanged.

I also learned that when ordering pizza from Mr Cs, 45 minutes means 2.25 hours.

That said, I look forward to next month... :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :innocent: :halo:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I'm sure there's a good amount of people here in WA too, that sounds like it'd be a lot of fun!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Are we still playing dealers choice next time? I got a few new games up my sleeve.

You lost your dealer's choice privileges after that fiasco of a game you made us play, lol.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Yeah that was a blast except for losing the last 8 hands I played including that grueling loss to you with quadruple 7's (and he beats me with quadruple kings folks) ... :mad:

To add to MJ's points, using the forum to connect with people is absolutely the way to go. I dropped so many "friends" and starting forming new relationships.

Whenever I talk with some old "friends" the self-depreciation and small thinking just rubs me the wrong way. It's like irritant. The new relationships I have forged (and keep forging) get rid of the irritant and it's like a breath of fresh air.

If you are "dying" to connect like minded people and forge great relationships, then be proactive.

There is a saying that is posted on the top of out blackboard and it states:

"Right Now Is Barely Fast Enough" -> Credit goes to @zen******* for engraving this into us when we went to visit his office.

That saying has become my favorite phrase ever since.

Want to play poker with some fastlaners? Right now is barely fast enough, let alone "maybe sometime next month" ... next month never happens.

So a bunch of us AZ guys got together on Thursday night and got a little poker home game going... nothing big, just $1 stakes and honestly, to call it "poker" would be a stretch. We played a lot of crazy games (7-card stud Q kills, wild cards, etc.) including the stalwart Texas-Holdem.

Here were the official results.

1st - MJ DeMarco +$280
2nd - @TheTruth +$98

3rd - @AndrewNC -$16
4th - @AllenCrawley -$24
5th - @JasonR - $45
6th - @Trevor Kuntz -$100
7th - @biophase - $156

The point of this post is first, of course, to claim my bragging rights for the entire month. :punch: :woot: :hungry: :upyours: :cigar:

Second, I haven't checked, but maybe there's an opportunity here for a website that helps local people form their own home games? And set up like a challenge league? I know this is the type of thing I would have used in the past. (Stress here is "HOME GAME" -- the is no house rake)

Third and most important, it illustrates that the forum is much more than "how do I grow my business" or "how do I make money" but about forging relationships OFFLINE as much as ONLINE.

I used to play a "home game" in Chicago before moving to Phoenix. When I moved, it stopped and I truly didn't realize how much I missed it until I played again, AND with a bunch of entrepreneurs who "get it". The conversation is illuminating -- instead of talking about how much one's boss is a dick or "my hours were cut", we are talking about sales funnels, conversion rates, and marketing ideas.

Folks, use this forum to your advantage. Contribute. Forge relationships. Find like minders in your area, go for coffee, get a poker home game going, or run your own B&P meetup.

While I had a shit-ton of fun last night, I actually learned STUFF just by virtue of LISTENING to the conversations that were being exchanged.

I also learned that when ordering pizza from Mr Cs, 45 minutes means 2.25 hours.

That said, I look forward to next month... :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :innocent: :halo:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The most awesome-est fastlane thing about poker night is that it was on a Thursday night and we played until 3am, and nobody had to leave early because they had to go to work the next day. It was also odd that nobody was even sleepy at 3am. LOL

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Interesting, lots of guys in Texas, we might have to try this.

Meet in Centerville or Waco LOL. Get guys from all the 4 big cities. Honestly I bet there is a way to play online for "play" money and finance it on the side through Paypal.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Agreed, although poor trevor slept on the floor because we don't have a couch lmao!

Talk about running lean huh?

The most awesome-est fastlane thing about poker night is that it was on a Thursday night and we played until 3am, and nobody had to leave early because they had to go to work the next day. It was also odd that nobody was even sleepy at 3am. LOL

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The 4th game is a GO tonight.

Since I haven't kept this thread updated, let me do so. :cool::p

Game #1 (Jan): Top winner: MJ
Game #2 (Feb): Top winner: MJ (Even throttled @snowbank when he was in town, he made an admirable try though...)

and finally...

Game #3: (March): Top winner... wait for it... here it comes... MJ.

My fellow game players have contributed a nice sum of money to a custom poker table I will be buying. ;)

I do, however, expect to lose tonight as gloating seems to induce bad luck. :wideyed:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Oh man. I've been so easy on you. Gloves come off tonight.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Waiting for the half-time report... :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Oh man. I would love to watch over your shoulders as ya trounce MJ to night. Hopefully

Well, MJ will be in here soon enough to gloat but I sure enjoyed the first 3 hours as I was a man on a mission. However, a few bad decisions depleted a very healthy stack. :banghead:

I did take great pleasure in bluffing @biophase out of a monster pot. :D

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I might as well just start donating to the community pot fund the way these games have been going. LOL

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Results

1st - @MJ DeMarco +$155
Tied for 2nd -
TheTruth & @biophase +$35
3rd - @AllenCrawley -$32
4th -
@AndrewNC -$75
5th - @JasonR -$120
6th - @Trevor Kuntz -$900+ (And still losing money. He's getting invoiced $1 every minute he is late to the poker game until the next game)

Yesterdays game went into the late hours of the night. There was various swings in wealth distribution during the night. At first, @AllenCrawley came out guns blazing, with aggressive offense, accompanied by some smooth tactical play by @biophase. They remained chip leaders for hours.

As the night went on though, people adjusted strategies, fatigue started to kick in a little and quite a few comebacks were made.

There was bluffing, scheming, made up rules, frustration, drama, healthy food, a bit of unhealthy food and a lot of fun.

MJ still sits proudly on his throne, but for how long? only the next game will tell ...

P.s. I also had the pleasure of bluffing @biophase out of a monster pot... (those 3's didn't mean anything ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Had to correct your stats for me. Not -$44 but -$32.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Yesterdays game went into the late hours of the night. There was various swings in wealth distribution during the night. At first, @AllenCrawley came out guns blazing, with aggressive offense, accompanied by some smooth tactical play by @biophase. They remained chip leaders for hours.

As the night went on though, people adjusted strategies, fatigue started to kick in a little and quite a few comebacks were made.

There was bluffing, scheming, made up rules, frustration, drama, healthy food, a bit of unhealthy food and a lot of fun.

MJ still sits proudly on his throne, but for how long? only the next game will tell ...

Maybe MJ has more tricks than you guys know about? :)

When Bobby Fisher prepared for his world championship chess match with Boris Spassky, he prepared by swimming laps underwater every day. He knew that as the chess matches wore on into the late hours, the player with the most oxygen going to his brain would have the mental advantage. So he built his chess game by building his lungs. When he defeated Spassky, many were surprised by his astonishing wit and mental staying power, especially late in the matches when both players should’ve been weary and burned out. What kept Bobby Fisher alert wasn’t caffeine or amphetamines—it was his breathing.

General George Patton once gave a lecture to his troops on brainpower. He, too, knew the connection between breathing and thinking. “In war, as in peace, a man needs all the brains he can get,” said Patton. “Nobody ever had too many brains. Brains come from oxygen. Oxygen comes from the lungs where the air goes when we breathe. The oxygen in the air gets into the blood and travels to the brain. Any fool can double the size of his lungs.”

-100 Ways to Motivate Yourself

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ still sits proudly on his throne

Yes folks I retain the iron throne for yet another month.

The night started out rough with @AllenCrawley busting out of the gates with an early chip lead after taking me for several good beats. I was behind for the first few hours of the night, however as the midnight hour approached, the horses in front of me started to weaken as their stamina and conditioning faltered. The old man, who with superior conditioning (he trains in the early morning hours) slowly and assuredly steamed ahead. One by one, each horse fell aside, labored in breathing and beaten down by one nut hand after another. In the end, only two horses could finish the race. Should the race have continued on into the wee morning hours, they too likely would have finished with a negative cash count.

Yet again, the old man was underestimated and it cost my fellow competitors. :yuck:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Is this event a "no estrogen allowed" thing or can the ladies join in? PS: My strategy is go big every time, no matter my cards. I seem unable to fold no matter my hand. Might be some easy money for you all, lol.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is this event a "no estrogen allowed" thing or can the ladies join in?

You'd actually would fit right in. We might be a player short next month too. Ill let you know.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.