The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$63 Million Dollars GONE, because due diligence was not done.

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sp...nd-felix-trinidad-broke-because-puerto-rican/

Down But Not Out: Boxing Legend Felix Trinidad Broke Because Of Puerto Rican Financial Crisis
Published April 16, 2014Fox News Latino

NEW YORK - JANUARY 19: Tito Trinidad kneels on the canvas after receiving a punch from Roy Jones Jr. during their Light Heavyweight bout at Madison Square Garden January 19, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images) (2008 GETTY IMAGES)
It’s a rags-to-riches-back-to-rags story. Well, sort of.

Puerto Rican boxing legend, Félix “Tito” Trinidad Jr., was never really poor, having grown up on a plantain farm on the outskirts of San Juan.

Trained and managed by his dad, a talented boxer himself, Trinidad went on to win belts in three different weight classes, along the way earning nearly $90 million in his career and the love of millions of Puerto Ricans.

In June, he will be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame alongside Oscar De La Hoya (who Trinidad out-pointed in September 1999).

But now Trinidad is left with just $9 million in assets and about three times that in debts, according to boxing publication The Ring.

The problem is about $63 million in Puerto Rican government bonds that José “Pepe” Ramos—Trinidad’s longtime English translator who in 1991 became the boxer’s financial advisor—purchased on behalf of Trinidad and his father.

Thanks to the island’s ongoing financial crisis that has caused its bond rating to be reduced to “junk” status, that investment is practically worthless now.

Last week, the Spanish-language San Juan daily, El Nuevo Día, reported that the brokerage arm of Puerto Rico’s Banco Popular tried to charge the boxer $2.9 million in additional collateral and was threatening to foreclose on some of his assets.

Trinidad filed a preliminary injunction in federal court to prevent the new charge on the grounds that Ramos, despite being instructed to maintain a conservative portfolio for the Trinidads, on separate occasions and without their approval purchased government bonds while misrepresenting the amount of risk involved.

Ramos was quoted as saying that the allegations are “totally false.”

For now, anyway, the worst seems to be over for Trinidad.

On Tuesday of this week, the boxer reached an agreement with the bank that allows him to keep his assets and the income they generate. “Thanks to the people of Puerto Rico for their care” and support, Trinidad said, according to El Nuevo Día. “This isn’t easy. We have always been truthful, and truth will prevail.”

“The bank was never interested in actually collecting the collateral,” Banco Popular’s lawyer Néstor Méndez said, perhaps mindful of Trinidad’s immense popularity on the island. “We are still disposed to collaborating.”

-----------------

There are so many things wrong with this. First off, trusting your TRANSLATOR with 63 million dollars?!! Uhh HELLO? common sense not so common? no due diligence, no seeking of people with the right background, no diversification, etc etc -- I'm sorry but that's just crazy....

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I only skimmed through but omg... wow I feel horrible for the guy, I hope others can learn from his example...

unfortunately tho it happens a lot... lottery winners, other athletes and what not...

how horrible...

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Even at Junk status the 63 million bonds purchased are worth less than 9 mil now? My god. That's insane.

and 3x times that amount in DEBTS......

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
and 3x times that amount in DEBTS......
Good point. I may be naive, but I don't quite understand how someone with his level of net worth had debts in the first place. If he had lived debt-free, he'd at least have 9 million dollars now, along with any hard assets -- not too shabby. Instead, his net worth is negative. To me, aside from his poor investment decisions, this is the real lesson here.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It gets to a point where finances are a game. If you have enough invested and are getting good enough rates on everything you finance at a lower rate than you are getting back in investments.

I can see this happening to many people who are not diversified.

Those Puerto Rican bonds probably paid a higher rate to begin with than a bond that we are used to because of the risk.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Seems to happen to a lot of boxers. I was reading this not too long ago:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...y-pacquiao-vs-brandon-rios-fight-2013-profile

"Despite earning nearly $200 million during his brilliant career, Pacquiao always hemorrhaged money."

Perhaps not relevant in terms of "not doing due diligence", but if you can't manage your money when you only have a few thousand, having millions will only magnify your issues of not being able to manage your money.....

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Every professional sports contract should come with a free copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad and Millionaire Fastlane .

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I say in TMF , if you struggle to live on $80K a year, you will struggle to live on $80/K a month. Spending is the problem, not income.

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
Many people are crooks. It's not just about spending.

In this case, he would have been completely screwed over.

Since he was known and liked, the bank isn't completely screwing him over.

The title is misleading: $63M is not gone. Read the bottom of the article: "the boxer reached an agreement with the bank that allows him to keep his assets and the income they generate"

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The title is misleading: $63M is not gone. Read the bottom of the article: "the boxer reached an agreement with the bank that allows him to keep his assets and the income they generate"

A lot of these "famous person goes broke" articles are indeed misleading.

If a tech founder sells his company for $100M and say, 10 years later has nothing left but a net worth of $6M, the article would say "Founder of Company YZX now broke" when in effect, a net worth of $6M isn't too shabby and would put him (still) in the 99 percentile.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.