The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Favorite Life Hacks ~ What Are They?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Do the hardest thing first. Whatever it is. Just get it done. Everything else throughout the day feels like "easy mode".

If you spend most of the day at the computer, get up every 40 minutes. Do some push ups, pull ups, lift some weights, stretch, whatever. Your brain can only intently concentrate on something for 40 minutes at a time anyway. I'd rather be really sharp and on for 2/3 of an hour than feel slushy for 3/3 of an hour.

Drink more water. However much you think you should be drinking, you can probably double that.

Find a schedule that works for you. A lot of people advocate waking up early at 4 am or 5 am for the feeling of getting things done before the rest of the world wakes up. I can relate to this, except I prefer to stay up working until 2 am or 3 am for the feeling of getting things done after the rest of the world has fallen asleep. To me, it doesn't matter which one you do, just that you have your private, alone "get shit done without distractions" time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jesta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 7, 2012
Get Kerrygold unsalted. It say's right on the packaging "Milk from Grass-fed Cows". TraderJoe's sells it.
http://kerrygoldusa.com/products/butter/unsalted-butter/

I get my coffee from a local roaster. It meets the qualifications for 'bulletproof' coffee - organic, wet processed, single estate from central america. $11 per pound.

Also, the bulletproof brand is actually white-labeled from these guys:
http://shop.portlandroasting.com/

Yea, 2 TBS of butter is too much starting out. I had to work my way up to that. I also started with one TBS of MCT but now up to 4 TBS.

I've always wanted to try this; however the past 6 months or so, the diuretic effect on me from coffee has doubled. I end up spending more time on the 'throne' than at my desk.

For now, i've settled on 100 mg caffeine and L-theanine.

Pabski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 19, 2014
Montana
If you eat breakfast, start each day with only protein+fat. Eggs are perfect. Incredible focus and sustained energy due to no insulin spike/crash.

Record a motivational self-talk and transfer it to itunes. For me, I listen to this as soon as I get to the gym. It gets my mind right and has an incredibly interesting psychological effect when you hear your own voice telling you to focus and put in the effort needed to reach goals. Workouts have much more intensity.

I start each day by writing: Here is a "reason" to smile, have a wonderful day, you deserve it! On a sticky note and then placing that sticky note with a "reisen" candy somewhere public. Living in the dorms makes finding a public place right when I wake up fairly easy =P.

If I find myself eating a food I know will cause a craving for more and likely end up in a cascade of eating crap, I instead enjoy the shit out of the food and then follow it up with either a hardboiled egg or a slice of cheese. Interestingly these foods completely inhibit any craving that would have erupted due to the dirt pudding I previously ate. ;)

Set phone reminder for 2-3x throughout the day that says: "Relax, do deep breathing, focus on the now." I set these reminders around a usually hectic time in order to ground myself and allow for full focus on the task at hand. Just a few deep breaths and productivity/focus increases 10 fold.
Also, a rubberband around your wrist can work quite well when you find yourself getting distracted. Snap it against your wrist to bring you back to "Now."

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Power naps (15-20 minutes).
I wake up refreshed and more alert. I've been doing this for 2 years and recommending them to anyone.
I'm like a power-nap evangelist.

Work in 25-minute blocks, and take a rest of 5 mins.
It's know as the Pomodoro technique. When I use it I can really do lot of works without feeling tired at the end of the day (even when I train for 2-3 hours). In the 5 mins rest I usually stretch, do some pushups or some other little task.

And my latest addition to the arsenal of life hacks..

How to See Without Glasses :pompus:

Jez Davis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Life hacks hmm.. not sure if these are all life hacks but it helps me with life.

-> Currently looking further into "Speed learning".

Basically is researching the skill then breaking it up into steps and removing unnecessary steps.

-> Speed reading

A few techniques to increase words per minute that has helped me read way more faster. I guess.. this does come natural to some or most!

-> Modaf***l

Energy, No brain fog, Alertness, Focus, Loss of appetite.

-> Audio-books

Audio books Best way for myself to gain knowledge anywhere at anytime at work, driving or walking to the shops so i'm constantly learning.

-> Distractions (TV and Most Music)

For quite awhile now, I've always thought of the TV as being a distraction to entertain ones mind. I'd rather use TV time for other things I find more important. (Each to their own!)
Now, with music I've felt that when listened to my old R&B, Hiphop, Rap, Hardstyle etc have lead to clogged up mind of b**tches, drugs and that dirty money. NOT saying its all bad to have these on your mind but without it I feel a sense of clarity and a clear mind!

-> Memory (Writing down/Visualizing and associating)

Always had trouble with my memory.. (Thinking its from when i fell and hit my head) so through research i discovered writing down everything and/or visualizing with associating what I want to remember has helped me greatly with this.

-> Socializing

I've learnt so much from asking questions and opinions from anyone anywhere. I'd generally ask older people than myself that would tell me about their experiences, mistakes, what would they do, etc. you'd be surprised on what you can learn by seeing each persons different viewpoint

@workingtitle agreed with no or less masturbation for energy levels, more productivity, less sexual thoughts etc..
@bane agreed with force smiling (think I've heard that from The Magic of thinking big)

Hope this helps in any way :)

Each to their own!! - This post was a tad old...

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Awesome thread! Thanks everyone for sharing their life hacks.

There are three big life hacks I employ on myself on a daily basis:

1. I bait myself with rewards to motivate me to do work. I'm sure a lot of people know this one, but what works for me personally is if I tell myself I can only paint or draw (which I really love) IF I complete said task.

2. I find that using the pomodoro technique of doing 25 minutes work, and 5 minutes break - the break being a 5 minute meditation is really effective.
When I start to get bored or feel like I'm slowing down I spend just 5 minutes getting myself to an elated state by meditating and when I open my eyes and get back to work I feel like I'm 100x more productive.

3. By creating a to-do list before bed and while trying to fall asleep telling myself that tomorrow is going to be a productive day, I usually end up following the entire list.

Also, if I spend any time on useless things like youtube for example, I make myself feel this feeling of wasting time which turns me off of whatever I'm distracted with instantly and I get back to work. It's a bit hard to explain but I sort of trained myself to feel the feeling of boredom when I play a game or use any form of entertainment as to wane myself off of it for good.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
A grueling 2-hour workout in the gym with very little rest, high weights, and high intensity gets me in the best mental and physical state. My fatigued muscles are the result of hard work that I did and it makes other tasks seem less daunting. Mentally it clears my mind and allows me to relieve all of my stress and anger. This is something I rarely miss. Even my one day off (I lift 6 days per week), which is much deserved makes me feel lazy. I'm addicted!

I've tried other things over the past few years but eventually I stop for one reason or another. Working out is the one that sticks with me.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Oh man, I tried the bullet proof coffee today but with my regular beans, salted normal butter, and coconut oil instead of MTU because I don't have any of the proper ingredients, and it's so damn good.

Thanks for sharing it. Im still drinking it.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
For clarity of mind, strength of spirit and physical energy, I recommend the following:

1) drink lots of water
2) eat primarily paleo (veggies, lean meats, nuts, berries, complex carbs-arguably not paleo). I have a smoothie everyday. Kale, spinich, swiss chard, banana, hemp seed, avocado, kelp, coconut oil, frozen berries. Sometimes add maca, hemp seeds, flax and more.
3) maintain and foster your relationships with spouse, friends, family. Do not neglect this, it helps the spirit. Life is all about relationships, the older you get, the more you realize this to be true.
4)Lift weights. Squat, deadlifts etc. Compound exercises are fantastic. Do not neglect cardio, it clears the mind, and develops higher levels of energy.
5) Get sleep. Nap if needed.
6)Supplements: Omega 3, zinc, magnesium, vitamin D
7) Talk less, listen more.
8) Indulge every now and then to restore balance, this may involve drinking or other...habits.
9) Never stop learning, or fostering curiosity to understand new things and systems. The brain needs to be exercised and sharpened just as the body.
10) Eliminate time wasters that cause noise and mental pollution and add nothing to your goals, or those time-wasters which you cannot control your indulgence with: ie; reddit, video games, even the news.

Balance is key. You must find your balance to maintain your momentuum and optimize your existence,

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
For clarity of mind, strength of spirit and physical energy, I recommend the following:

1) drink lots of water
2) eat primarily paleo (veggies, lean meats, nuts, berries, complex carbs-arguably not paleo). I have a smoothie everyday. Kale, spinich, swiss chard, banana, hemp seed, avocado, kelp, coconut oil, frozen berries. Sometimes add maca, hemp seeds, flax and more.
3) maintain and foster your relationships with spouse, friends, family. Do not neglect this, it helps the spirit. Life is all about relationships, the older you get, the more you realize this to be true.
4)Lift weights. Squat, deadlifts etc. Compound exercises are fantastic. Do not neglect cardio, it clears the mind, and develops higher levels of energy.
5) Get sleep. Nap if needed.
6)Supplements: Omega 3, zinc, magnesium, vitamin D
7) Talk less, listen more.
8) Indulge every now and then to restore balance, this may involve drinking or other...habits.
9) Never stop learning, or fostering curiosity to understand new things and systems. The brain needs to be exercised and sharpened just as the body.
10) Eliminate time wasters that cause noise and mental pollution and add nothing to your goals, or those time-wasters which you cannot control your indulgence with: ie; reddit, video games, even the news.

Balance is key. You must find your balance to maintain your momentuum and optimize your existence,

Great post, this probably sums it up for me. Every single one of these I have committed to in the past year or so and they have all greatly improved my life. The only things I would add are (most of which have been said);

-Bulletproof coffee is awesome
-Get up early and go for a walk. If you feel like singing and dancing around as you walk, do it! Not many people are around at 6am anyway.
-Have an activity that you love (eg. is not a chore or money-focused) which you strive to get better at. For me it's cricket and songwriting. For others it might be another sport, martial art or anything else.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Sorry to jack this thread guys, I feel it's the best place to ask.

One of the members signature has something like "if I don't work ,my mom will die working" - something along those lines. Does anyone know who that person is?

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
One of the members signature has something like "if I don't work ,my mom will die working" - something along those lines. Does anyone know who that person is?

That person is me. I changed it a few days ago :D Why? PM

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
469%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
That person is me. I changed it a few days ago :D Why? PM
Can relate to that. My initial kick-in-the-a$$ motivation to get into entrepreneurism was to retire my parents (Even though my dad was a grade D father at best). It remains a huge motivation.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Mini fridge.... saves me the 20 second trip to the kitchen

IceCrusher

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
800%
Sep 29, 2014
Germany
This is my first post in this forum so I think this awesome thread is a nice place to start ;)

My "life hacks":

1. get up early: I cannot always do that, because I'm a student with a part-time job where I have to do night shifts, but I do it whenever I can. It helps me to get so many things done.
2. sports, fitness: I totally recommed doing some kind of martial art. For me, it builds confidence, discipline and is a good way to relieve stress.
3. drink a lot of water: I drink 3-4 liters (about one gallon) of water a day. Helps me to stay fresh and keep a clear head, especially during my night shifts. I never have any headaches, and I think this may be due at least to some extent to the amount of water I drink.
4. eat "five a day".
5. cold shower: really gest me awake and boosts the immune system. I rarely ever get sick.
6. keep a diary: I started this habit about two months ago, and I regret that I didn't start earlier.
7. read a lot. Should be self-explanatory, right?
8. have no TV
9. turn off my PC at least one hour before I go to sleep

and of course, the best recent addition to my life hacks is
10. this forum ;)

JackRuss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
900%
Jul 1, 2014
I've been using Jerry Seinfeld's "Dont' Break The Chain" method. For every new comedic material he wrote he'd mark an X on that day to train himself to routinely keep new ideas coming everyday, hence don't break the chain of X's. I use a printed out calendar on my wall and its made me WAY MORE productive. When you have a visual representation of the progress you're making it really keeps you from drifting off or doing the common "I'll deal with it tomorrow" thing.

I also bodybuild and take cold showers.

JakeChhean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 6, 2014
Not sure if this counts as a hack, but hopefully it helps.

Remove one non-essential a day; albeit material junk, fruitless activities (TV, Video Games) and meaningless relationships.

This may result in more time, money, energy and clarity.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
This is my first post in this forum so I think this awesome thread is a nice place to start ;)

My "life hacks":

1. get up early: I cannot always do that, because I'm a student with a part-time job where I have to do night shifts, but I do it whenever I can. It helps me to get so many things done.
2. sports, fitness: I totally recommed doing some kind of martial art. For me, it builds confidence, discipline and is a good way to relieve stress.
3. drink a lot of water: I drink 3-4 liters (about one gallon) of water a day. Helps me to stay fresh and keep a clear head, especially during my night shifts. I never have any headaches, and I think this may be due at least to some extent to the amount of water I drink.
4. eat "five a day".
5. cold shower: really gest me awake and boosts the immune system. I rarely ever get sick.
6. keep a diary: I started this habit about two months ago, and I regret that I didn't start earlier.
7. read a lot. Should be self-explanatory, right?
8. have no TV
9. turn off my PC at least one hour before I go to sleep

and of course, the best recent addition to my life hacks is
10. this forum ;)

Are you a Bold and Determined reader?

C

Czech

Very cool thread! Here are my "life hacks" for productivity and success.

1) Train your body and your mind. I've been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 4x per week for 3 years and love it. It's a sport and an art at the same time.

2) Use a CRM to keep track of all of your opportunities, contacts and notes. I use Insightly. It's free and runs on the cloud so that I can access it anywhere from any device.

3) Keep a daily to-do list that is easily accessible. I use Wunderlist. Whenever I have a thought of what something that needs to be done, I immediately put it into Wunderlist.

4) Caffeine. If you are going to call on a long list of prospects, sip coffee and water to stay alert and hydrated.

5) Pushups. On top of training Jiu-Jitsu, I do 250 pushups 6x per week (Sunday's are rest day). Doing pushups throughout my day (or all at once) gets the blood flowing, my energy levels stay higher and my endorphins are through the roof.

6) Play audiobooks in your car instead of listening to the radio. If you listen to an hour of audiobooks per day instead of an hour of radio, that's 365 hours of education. Average Audiobook = 8 hours. Thus 45 books a year, which is the equivalent of a bachelor's degree. (This is from Brian Tracy's "The Miracle of Self-Discipline").

7) Don't leave voicemails for people unless it's an emergency. If you can't reach them by phone, send them an email and make a note in your To-Do List to call them back.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Here is a lifehack... realize you are a creature of habit and that's all you are. Things you do you'll keep doing. Things you don't want to do you'll have to force yourself to do until it becomes a habit and hence easier and more you.

If I set first day of "don't want to do" thing at 0-5% motivation, by day 3 it is about 40-60%. That's simply incredible and humans are silly.

Also, get a program called Freedom that turns off internet access for a set amount of time.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks everyone for Sharing! Great thread.

Some 'lifehacks' I discovered, not sure if they have been mentioned already. In no particular order or emphasis.

1. Any Do app, Free simple easy to use to do list app. Check it out.

2.Writing down what you have achieved that day before you sleep and what your are thankful for, it seems to help sleep. Also prayer helps and remembering all the things I am grateful for and have achieved so far.

3. Humour always helps.

4.Taking in some sun, good for your health and mood, I find. Especially early in the morning.

5. Helping others without expecting anything in return, feels good and it can energize you.

6.Obviously reading and exercising, I agree to what others have said about Martial Arts, this aids discipline and is another skill or accomplishment in life. Try Jeet Kune Do, Krav Maga, Ninjitsu and Systema. Ive only taught myself JKD but I am getting into the others soon, as others noted another habit is great to have, I find playing a musical instrument or 'free' creative time playing or creating music can get your creative juices flowing and opens and expands your mind and capabilities.Also helps to maintain life balance.

I will add more when I come across some new ones guys, I've read about BP Coffee and the Bulletproof Executive Stuff, he does use some pricey equipment though, I would be interested to test out his theories when I can afford too haha.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Bulletproof Coffee is responsible for kickstarting 6 out of every 7 of my mornings.

Basically it's organic wet processed coffee beans course ground in a french press. After a few minutes I add MCT oil and butter from grass-fed cows. Blend it using a Magic Bullet until it's frothy.

I was not a coffee drinker prior to bulletproof coffee but I absolutely love this stuff as does my wife.

This coffee is like being drip fed energy all day long. I don't get the usual spike of energy one gets after drinking "regular" coffee followed shortly thereafter by a crash. Rather the energy is sustained throughout the day.

It helps with focus and mental clarity.

I know @Likwid24, @Red, @theag (and maybe @MarkNNelson) drinks it pretty consistently. Maybe they can chime in as well.

More info:
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-mistakes-butter-coffee-fatty-coffee-and-more/
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/announcement-cognitive-study-with-bulletproof-coffee/
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/one-ugly-mug-the-science-behind-just-one-mold-toxin-in-your-coffee/

I've heard a lot of people recommend this. Up until now, I've been extremely skeptical, as he made a LOT of claims on the site, and didn't back them up with research or proof (or not that I recalled anyway, but haven't looked back into this since first hearing about it about a year ago).

However, with the number of "thumbs up" this thread has already given to the product, I might have to give it a go....

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
* automate the CRAP out of EVERY facet of your life that you can:

- bill pay (easy, free, simple)
- cleaning (if it costs more in your time spent building your company vs paying someone to pick up your stuff, do it)
- Set your calendar app to remind you when certain things are due: important dates, meetings, bills (if not automating), goal deadlines
- If you have a SO, share calendars
- If you're married, use something like Basecamp or Trello to make yourselves a virtual "to do"list, dream projects/vacations, upcoming needs/expenses (like Bobby's gonna need orthodontics by X date and it costs X amount).

* UNPLUG YOUR DAMNED ELECTRONICS!
- They're such a crutch for time wasting. I used to be the BIGGEST "News" junkie around and could talk pretty knowledgably about a huge range of topics. What did that get me? Nuthin.
- You're just avoiding work that needs to be done.
- You'll have better interactions with everyone! Family, kids, etc.
- Turn off notifications on while working on your computer.
- Put the phone in another room.
- Put the phone on "Airplane mode" at night. That way random notifcations, texts, etc don't interrupt your sleep.
- Take a melatonin before bed
- No screen time at least an hour before bed
- Go to bed early

* Have a MIRACLE morning every morning. It works.

* Work out. Who cares what you do...just do something. We're all dying one day at a time. Do you wanna die fat and miserable or fit and happy? This is what I'm doing, and as a life long lifter it's blown my mind. I love it (I do NOT have any $ relationship to this book, btw).

* Choose your friends wisely. If they're bringing positive energy, they stay. If Negative Nancy's, they're gone.

* Choose to be awesome! 99% of people don't believe in themselves. If you believe in yourself then anything is possible.

* And per MJ: just execute baby. Promise only what you're going to deliver. Otherwise, shut your mouth. Remember, coffee is for closers! And don't waste your (or anyone else's) time.

Last but not least: most things in life aren't impossible to acheive (for those interested, I'll share the story over drinks at B&P). Thing is, most people don't want it enough:
- Marine Corps: tough, not impossible. But tons of encounters that began, "Well, I was gonna be a Marine but..."
- Medicine? Same deal. Give up after one rejection. Or don't even start because the mountain looks too steep.
- Fitness? Everyone knows this one
- True, hardcore research? Dear God, the uncertainty and work involved!
- And being an entrepreneur is turning out to be, as MJ says, like being in a North Korean prison camp. Ye gods.....

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I've heard a lot of people recommend this. Up until now, I've been extremely skeptical, as he made a LOT of claims on the site, and didn't back them up with research or proof (or not that I recalled anyway, but haven't looked back into this since first hearing about it about a year ago).

However, with the number of "thumbs up" this thread has already given to the product, I might have to give it a go....
I don't know if one needs to go "Full Retard" like the bulletproof coffee guys says. I've been playing around and get the same benefit from great Starbucks coffee and good butter. It's basically a latte but with butter instead of cream. And when I'm doing low carb, it rocks.

AlanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 15, 2014
I don't know if one needs to go "Full Retard" like the bulletproof coffee guys says. I've been playing around and get the same benefit from great Starbucks coffee and good butter. It's basically a latte but with butter instead of cream. And when I'm doing low carb, it rocks.

I just use whatever coffee I can find, coconut oil and grass-fed butter, thrown in the blender (making sure to leave the lid up slightly so it doesn't blow off!) This works wonders for me.

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013

What kind of stuff do you write in your diary? Do you stick to business related things or all of life?

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada

Completely agree. Just need to pickup butter from grass-fed cows and the MCT oil .... question is where to get these in Toronto...hmmm

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.